Author Topic: Why won't it go away  (Read 3676 times)

wally007

Why won't it go away
« on: March 25, 2004, 02:00:10 AM »
Hi i downloaded Avast home just to see if i have any viruses ( i didnt) and it works pretty good except that i cant get rid of it. I just want to scan my harddrives MANUALY , i do not want it permanently in my memory. I did get rid of "provider" plus i deleted its entries from registry so that it isnt "starting everything Windows starts" but my firewall is still getting these hits " Application from your computer wants to send ICMP packet to lynx.avast.com [216.12.202.5] " or " Application from your computer wants to send ICMP packet to leopard.avast.com [67.15.0.83] " I turned off just about everything i could in Avast but i cant get rid of these pop-ups in my Firewall and i really do not like it trying to connect to these web sites , IP addys ... what is up with this program  ?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Why won't it go away
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:09:45 AM »
Without checking the specific sites/addys you mentioned, it sounds like avast is simply checking for updates, which are quite frequent.

And you sure as heck want those definitions kept up to date, no point having a-v protection without that.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

wally007

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:24:43 AM »
well yea , but i want to do it MANUALLY when I decide , not whenever Avast feels like it (whcih  seems like every 15 seconds). I'm behind hardware firewall and software firewall and in 4 years of working like this i havent had single virus so i'm not THAT worried. I"ve had Trojan once , thats about it. I just dont like Avast clogging up my network with these check ups. I changed my internet connection to dial-up , in Avast , seems like that did the job.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:25:30 AM »
I just want to scan my harddrives MANUALY , i do not want it permanently in my memory.

I suggest you install avast! again, correcting the first 'bad' uninstallation.
Write your Registration key (received by email) enabling avast!
Go to Administrative Tools > Services (if you are with Windows XP) and disable both avast! services. That is the way to have what you want.

To scan manually, you must start the avast! service and ashSimpl.exe  ;)
The best things in life are free.