Author Topic: Major Problems  (Read 3914 times)

littlebit1

Major Problems
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »
I hate to be one of those people who are always complaining but... ::)    I have some real unusual problems going on that I would have to say is related to Avast!4.81169. My computer has always worked problem free until the update that is..so the process of elimination points to the Avast! program update. First of all the start up is real jerky...by that I mean I am using Vista so the blue round circle that indicates the loading process stops spinning then starts and is not the smooth transition that it used to be...which to me indicates a problem. To me this is a minor glitch and there is more little things that are happening but the major one I have encountered recently for the 3rd time is all of a sudden there is this load BUZZ that starts out of the blue and for no reason..it will stop then start again so it is not continuous. The two times this has happened to me I restarted the computer and and I am unable to log on to my or any account as my mouse won't work...I have to shut down manually by holding in the power button. The first time this happened I was able to get into "safe mode"  and not really sure how or why the problem resolved itself...but after a system restart..I was able to log on as usual. Then out of the blue last  night it happened again; except this time I had a hard time even getting into "safe mode" as it was like my keyboard wasn't working...and when I did get into "safe mode" the mouse wouldn't work for me either; so as you can see the problem is getting worse and more difficult to fix! :-[   Once again not sure how it resolved itself..but after a few tries(quite a few, if I might add) :-\  I was able to get "safe mode" to work and after a system restart all was okay again...very strange...This morning I did some reading and not sure if the problem that I read about was even similar to mine, but the advice given was to disable the self defence module...which I did...next if the problem continues I might try to stop the rootkit scan at system startup...anybody have any similar situations happening to them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Liz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Major Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:35:38 PM »
First of all the start up is real jerky...by that I mean I am using Vista so the blue round circle that indicates the loading process stops spinning then starts and is not the smooth transition that it used to be...
Which other programs are set to automatic restart?

a sudden there is this load BUZZ that starts out of the blue and for no reason..it will stop then start again so it is not continuous. The two times this has happened to me I restarted the computer and and I am unable to log on to my or any account as my mouse won't work...I have to shut down manually by holding in the power button.
Did you have any other antivirus in the past in this computer?
Which is your firewall?
The best things in life are free.

littlebit1

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:49:37 PM »
Sorry I am late in getting back to you...but it happened again :-[  it once again took awhile to get everything working again where I can log on to my account. As to your questions nothing out of the ordinary is scheduled at "startup" that is nothing new has been added...I have made no changes to anything except updates for avast, spybot and AVG anti- spyware...both spyware applications are stand alone which means I use them for the scanner purpose only; there in no real time protection enabled at all except with Avast! and of course my Windows Firewall, so in reality nothing should be conflicting with Avast...I'm afraid to say it's Avast!  causing the conflicts :'(   thinking of doing a clean install...as when I updated I used the update feature....maybe that will help. Thanks for your reply...any thoughts?
 Liz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
Can you try if the latest beta version solves this?
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.

littlebit1

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 12:09:20 AM »
I really don't like using "beta's" they tend to cause more problems then I care to bother with..I think I'll uninstall Avast! and try reinstalling it...hopefully...all will go smooth.
 thanks tho...I will keep your suggestion in mind...you never know I might get brave and give it a try
 Once again thanks for your reply
 Liz

littlebit1

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »
Tech...just thought I'd let you know I reinstalled from scratch...seems to work better.. 8) hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for your help..
 Liz

rassel

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 01:16:49 PM »
I really don't like using "beta's" they tend to cause more problems then I care to bother with..
You shouldn't said that beta is not good because the beta vision is the one which solve my problem.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:19:11 PM by rassel »

littlebit1

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 03:25:55 PM »
I really don't like using "beta's" they tend to cause more problems then I care to bother with..
You shouldn't said that beta is not good because the beta vision is the one which solve my problem.

No, I didn't say the beta version wasn't good...not at all..I just don't have the experience or the knowledge to fix any problems that may arise...that's all....I wouldn't be a good "tester" :P
 Liz

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
I just don't have the experience or the knowledge to fix any problems that may arise...that's all....I wouldn't be a good "tester" :P
We neither... the problems will be solved by the programmers. If we can't 'stand' the problems (if any) with the betas, then just turn back to the official release. But, glad that you've solved your problem with the installation from the scratch.