Author Topic: avast! preventing windows file sharing?  (Read 20991 times)

mabeco

avast! preventing windows file sharing?
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »
 Hi,

I have 2 PCs connected through a network, both in WinXp SP2, both using COMODO firewall.
 Initially they don't have antivirus, and I can access a given shared folder on PC A from PC B.
 Then I've installed avast! on PC A, and PC B can no longer access the same shared folder. The message I get is "ip address\share name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permitions"
 Is there any special settings to tweak on avast in PC A to permit the access to the shared folder?
 Thank in advance.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: avast! preventing windows file sharing?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »
avast! does not block shared folders access... so no, there's no such setting.

mabeco

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 05:45:01 PM »
 Thanks for the reply.
 After uninstalling avast! from PC A, I am able to access the shared folder again.
 Could it be an incompability issue with comodo firewall?
 Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be?  ???

avast! does not block shared folders access... so no, there's no such setting.

mabeco

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »
 Found the solution to the problem.  :D

I've just reinstalled avast! and it happened again, no access! So the probem had to do with avast! or, most probably, problems in the system caused by the avast! installation.

The complete error message was:
 "\\192.168.12.84\share is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
 Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

The last line I din't post it before and it should be the best clue to solving the problem.
 So, after investigating the problem a little bit, I finally found this site (http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=174) with the soultion:
  Navigate to the following registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
\LanmanServer\Parameters
 and modify create the variable IRPStackSize=50

50 (decimal, 0x32 Hex) may be exagerated which is the max val, but after a reboot it did work.  ;D

Thanks, I hope this info helps someone...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:51:13 PM by mabeco »

JimF

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »
I get the same error on WinXP.  Curiously, it allows me to access one shared folder, but not another.  The only difference I see is that one that doesn't work was set up before I installed SP3, and the other that does work after.  And it was probably before/after I installed avast! (currently 4.8.1201), which was around the same time. That may be coincidental, it may have more to do with the number of files in the folder or whatever.  But the error message directs to this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&ProdVer=5.1.2600.0&EvtID=2011&EvtSrc=Srv&FileVer=5.1.2600.0&FileName=netevent.dll&EvtType=Error&LCID=

Update: Uninstalling avast! solves the problem for me too.  It should be noted that I run WinXP in a limited user account, but that should not matter for shared folders after they are set up insofar as I know.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:33:27 PM by JimF »

neal62

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »
Since your using WinXp have you gone to Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions, then be sure "File and Printer Sharing" is checked off? This might be some of your problem?

JimF

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:19:30 PM »
Actually, I have the Windows XP firewall turned off entirely on my main PC where the folders are shared.  And I don't have avast! on my notebook where I was accessing them.  It is hard to see how a firewall could affect some folders and not others, but I have seen strange firewall problems too sometimes.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:24:18 AM »
The IRPStackSize change needs to be made on the system on which the folders you want to share reside, not on the system accessing them.  You will also need to restart that system for the change to be effective.

JimF

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:42:54 AM »
Thanks, but I have not changed the IRPStackSize yet on either PC.  I will be upgrading to Vista before too long, and will probably see if I have the same problem.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »
Hopefully you will not experience the same issue on Vista.

This is not an avast issue in itself - just the running out of a Windows XP resource due to all the stuff installed on the system.  I first ran into this problem when I installed my backup imaging package.  MS should know by now that the default setting needs to be higher in Vista.

stoneleigh

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
changing the value in my registry didn't work for me but disabling the NIC while using wireless did

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
changing the value in my registry didn't work for me but disabling the NIC while using wireless did

This is a three year old topic that you have replied to  ::)