Author Topic: Scan stalls in System Volume Information folder  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scan stalls in System Volume Information folder
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 03:44:12 AM »
So, my suggestion would be to put C:\System Volume Information\* into the list of avast! exclusions to prevent scanning of this folder... don't know anything better, I'm afraid.
Maybe only Igor's suggestion will do it...
Any acknowledgment from Alwil or Zonelabs about this problem?
The best things in life are free.

Offline clira

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 03:59:06 AM »
So, my suggestion would be to put C:\System Volume Information\* into the list of avast! exclusions to prevent scanning of this folder... don't know anything better, I'm afraid.
Maybe only Igor's suggestion will do it...
Any acknowledgment from Alwil or Zonelabs about this problem?

Alwil's official response was that I should try Igor's suggestion and just exclude it.  I checked the Zone Alarm site(zonelabs) and could not find anything specific to Avast and SVI.  I did not pursue it any further with them as it happened even with ZA turned off, and I'm using their freebie version(vs. the paid version of Avast).  Oh well.  I wish there was a better response. I work on a large-scale web-based app and if we had a problem on one of our screens my solution would not be "Don't navigate to that page.  Just avoid it." ;D

clira

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 04:09:20 AM »
it happened even with ZA turned off
Seems to be happening at driver level...

Edited due to Igor's suggestion about dumps...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:59:26 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 09:11:47 AM »
The user-mode dump won't reveal anything, I'm afraid.
We had even a kernel-mode dump previously - and it showed ZoneAlarm driver blocking the file open.

If you check Google, you'll find many reports of the same problem, unrelated to avast! (= occurring on a machine without avast!).
Maybe you can restrict the exclusion (I believe it was the tracking.log file, causing the problems, though I may be wrong)... but that's about all.