Author Topic: Exchange 2000 problem  (Read 7398 times)

kfozo

Exchange 2000 problem
« on: March 23, 2004, 09:18:55 AM »
Hi!

I installed the trial version of Avast server on my SBS2000 system.
I enabled all the plugins except of P2P and Instant messaging.
Now the clients with Outlook2000 receive new emails with empty body and 64B long txt attachments only.
And they have the same problem with the old emails in all boxes too!

What is it? How can I get the mails back?
Thanks
Krisztian Fozo

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Exchange 2000 problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi,

could you rephrase the problem?
You mean like ALL messages have stripped bodies? And what about the attachments -- how are these "blocked"?

Thanks
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

jatagan

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 11:49:29 AM »
Hello,

I can specify the problem with more details:

First time the following modules ran:
- Exchange 2k/2k3
- Standard
- Script block
- MS SMTP

The SBS 2k, the be more precise the Exchange is not act as an SMTP server for inbound messages, it uses pop3 connector to gather mails from internet, and uses itself to relay messages with SMTP.

After the install and setup, ALL the messages lost their body, in  user's exhange mailbox, I mean the messages exist before the Avast install also just empty... The attachments also not allowed to see, those are removed, replcaed with a .txt, which also empty...

Since that time I swithed off the SMTP module and restart the whole computer, as I can't see any difference in sending (I switched off the SMTP modul cause the mail sending also shows empty mails, with removed attachments.).

Moreover I can't figure out what is the connection between all (already existed) mails and the antivirus control.

Also I got the same error with another SBS2k with Exchange 2k, but till now (while I writing this out here) I didn't figured out it could be the antivirus on the another SBS2k too... There is no SBS version of Avast on the other system, "just" server version was installed, so only the stantard module worked, no Echange & MS SMTP module were exist ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 05:21:29 PM by jatagan »

jatagan

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 05:38:54 PM »
Hello,

Could you please give us some feedback, as the problem still exist. We installed the Avast SBS version on one day's afternoon, and on next day in the early morming, it was still good, but after around 9 A.M. the new mails were arrived without body, and without real attachments (if there were any attached, of course). Also most of the existing mails (except around 5%) bodies dissapeared to in the different user made folders and in the standard ones too (Inbox/Sent Items etc.). After we uninstalled the Avast, the new mails come back with bodies and with attachments, but the stored old mails still wrong; emtpty. I'd like to know is there any way to get back the contents of mails, as the MailStore still as big as it would still have the orginal contents.

Some details: the fake attachments are come as more than one ".txt" files with 64 kbyte size, and all of them empty

Thank you very much!

Jatagan

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 03:18:36 PM »
Sorry for the delay, I was out of office yesterday.

To start, please check the event log, namely the Antivirus category. Does it show any warnings/errors?

avast really shouldn't alter any messages, never, unless a positive virus infection is found. But that would appear in the logs.

BTW you said: ... The attachments also not allowed to see, those are removed, replcaed with a .txt, which also empty

what are the full filenames (with the .txt extensions)? I.e. you're only talking about the extensions, but what are the names?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.