Author Topic: what's the different choice of delete and move?  (Read 2750 times)

Rod Jonhson

what's the different choice of delete and move?
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:00:25 AM »
press 1    to delete           
        2    delete all               
        3    move                     
        4    move all               
        5    move to chest       
        6    move all to chest     
        7    repair                     
        8    repair all                 
        9    ignore                     
        0    ignore al                 
        esc  exit     

what's the different choice of  delete and move?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: what's the different choice of delete and move?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:46:38 AM »
Hi Rod
Generally speaking, deleting means removing with no possibility of restoring, whereas moving is like "moving house", changing the address without "damaging" the contents.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Rod Jonhson

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »
thanks very much! but where can i find the moved file?

psw

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
When you choice is Move file hten you should select target directory for move (with some default target present). After move you can find moved files in the selected directory.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:03 PM »
thanks very much! but where can i find the moved file?

If you moved it to the chest, then you need to open the chest, Infected Files section to find them. You can find the chest with windows explored but it is a protected area, a) the files names will be different to explorer than the original and b) the date inside the chest is encrypted.

So by far the best option is move to the chest and investigate.

Start the Simple User Interface, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, once the memory check completes, Menu, Virus Chest, Infected Files. Or open directly, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashChest.exe.

Don't touch the files in the System Files section of the chest they are backups of important system files.

If you just moved them as has been said you should have been given the option of selecting where to move them to, if not then they would I think have been sent to the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Moved folder, this is unlike the chest in that it is not a protected area and when you run further scans avast will detect again in this location.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rod Jonhson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 03:20:10 PM »
yes you are right,i find it in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\moved .thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security