Author Topic: Help with defrag pls  (Read 2710 times)

charyuop

Help with defrag pls
« on: March 26, 2004, 02:28:25 PM »
Hiya all,
I found out avast 4 after having had few virus problems (avast was the only 1 to see that virus, thus it is now my favorite  ;) ).
Inside my computer I know there are some errors (and in what computers there are not?), but I think this has nothing to do with the defrag one.
Everytime I start defragmenting the HD, in the middle of the process (sometimes even more times during 1 defrag), the process stops coz it pops up a box saying: Avast needs to restart the computer now. Yes or Cancel.
Of course I cancel it and go on with the defrag, but it is annoying coz I hope during the night defrag finishes and I wake up in the morning to see only maybe 10 or 30% done.
I tried to stop the protection and do the defrag, but it won't change and I cannot get rid of the avast icon from the taskbar for the period of the defrag coz there is no CLOSE option like in the other applications.
Any suggestion?

whocares

Re:Help with defrag pls
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 02:37:49 PM »
Hi,
avast gives you this message cause it has downloaded a new avast Program version and wants to reboot the PC:

- either you accept it, then you won't see this for several weeks (the more frequent updates of the signature-database VPS doesn't need to reboot the PC)

- or you disable automatic Updating of avast for the time of defragging
- or you start the PC in safeMode (F8-Boot) and defrag then, which is anyway advisable

;)

charyuop

Re:Help with defrag pls
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 02:51:01 PM »
Thanx alot :)