Author Topic: Windows System Files in Chest?  (Read 1967 times)

scotts

Windows System Files in Chest?
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
I've used Avast for several years, but I've only had my current laptop for a little over a year.  I discovered by looking in the Avast 4.8 chest three files named kernel32.dll, one copy or file named winsock.dll and one named wsock.dll.  Original location windows/system32.
This seemed a little odd to me since the files can't run from there right?  The dates of the files date way-back before I had this computer or Avast.
Any ideas of why these files are there and are they supposed to be?
Thanks
Tim

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows System Files in Chest?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »
You will notice the avast chest is in three sections:

1. Infected Files, speaks for itself, any files detected by avast that you chose Move to Chest as the action.

2. System files, back-up copies of important system files. There are (generally) files in the System Folder of the Chest: command.com, kernel 32.dll and wsock32.dll. During the installation, avast! copies some critical system files into the Chest, under the "System files" category. Those files might cause the operating system to crash if they get infected by a virus. If needed, those files can be restored from the Chest to their original location. Should an unknown virus infect the computer despite the extensive protection from the avast! antivirus package and alter an important system file, it can then be easily restored to its original state.

3. User Files, an area for the user to import suspicious files that haven't been detected so they can do no harm and can be sent by email to Alwil for further analysis.

So, that files are ok ;)
The best things in life are free.

scotts

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:34:27 PM »
Thanks! Great program, I've talked dozens of people into removing Norton Hog and buying Avast Pro.  I should sign up for commissions.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:24:45 PM »
Thanks! Great program, I've talked dozens of people into removing Norton Hog and buying Avast Pro.  I should sign up for commissions.  ;D
There are tons of ex-Norton users here... I'm one of them  :-[ :-[
The best things in life are free.