Author Topic: Hiya! Computer moron here!  (Read 3233 times)

xdruidx

Hiya! Computer moron here!
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
 I just bought avast after getting a Trojan's virus. Now windows won't open anything. When I try to download anything it wont because it is a unknown file type. It replaced all my windows files with files unknown to windows. How can An idiot like me fix this problem? PLEASE HELP! I have windows xp pro I believe. Someone please help its driving me crazy!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:15:10 PM by xdruidx »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Hiya! Computer moron here!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:38:58 PM »
That sounds like it might be a bit serious (said this semi-dummy in reply.)
Couple of questions. How do you know the computer got a trojan horse? Did another security application or antivirus alert you to it? And if so, which one?
If not, what (if any) security applications are installed (antivirus, firewall, any suites etc)?
Any description you can provide in answer, especially if you can name the malware (malware= generic term for virus, trojan etc) may well help.
Also, do you run as an admin, or limited user account? (You may not know the answers. Just as you can.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

xdruidx

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:13:03 PM »
Avast told me about the Trojan and the root kit malware in win 32. Windows keeps telling me that it can not perform because of unrecognizable files

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:52 PM »
Try a boot time scan with avast! Right click the scanner screen, select 'schedule a boot time scan' and reboot when requested.

Do you have a system recovery disc or partition, or a Windows CD? (You might need to do a recovery/repair.)
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

xdruidx

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 04:46:17 PM »
Nope can't find my windows xp,and tried the system restore and could not open it >:(. I am pulling my hair out,and want to thank you for helping:)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »
Have you tried the boot time scan?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog