Author Topic: Setting up Avast to scan Thunderbird mail...  (Read 11529 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Setting up Avast to scan Thunderbird mail...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
It's a mix really ... the extensions use https for login ...and then the rest is http  ... just as when you use the web for accessing these Webmail services.

Mozillazine is a wonderful mix of information much reliable and much unreliable as I'm sure you know. Your quote from Mozillazine is ambiguous rather than misleading since it just says port 80 but I agree with you that testing for oneself certainly clarifies concerns even if it can only go as far as
this doesn't contradict what you say

Sesame

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 03:40:14 PM »
It's a mix really ... the extensions use https for login ...and then the rest is http  ... just as when you use the web for accessing these Webmail services.

Mozillazine is a wonderful mix of information much reliable and much unreliable as I'm sure you know. Your quote from Mozillazine is ambiguous rather than misleading since it just says port 80 but I agree with you that testing for oneself certainly clarifies concerns even if it can only go as far as
this doesn't contradict what you say.
True.  It's kind of frustratingly vague...thinking of it, I indeed came across similar cases with some features of Firefox, too.  Enough frustrating to make me check them by myself...is this a kind of open-source conspiracy?  ;D  In any case, thank you for your explanation, alanrf.

squeekster

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »
Earlier, it was stated
Just one other comment - for users of Thunderbird there is a relatively simple alternative for getting GMail scanned (rather than using STunnel).  No it is not entirely without effort - it would involve the use of the Thunderbird Webmail extensions.  These would deliver the mail to Thunderbird from Webmail where a single checkbox change in the avast GUI would ensure that the received mail is scanned.

Where is this checkbox?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
I'm not sure, but seems that you need to uncheck the 'Ignore local communication'...
The best things in life are free.

Sesame

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:23 AM »
Earlier, it was stated
Just one other comment - for users of Thunderbird there is a relatively simple alternative for getting GMail scanned (rather than using STunnel).  No it is not entirely without effort - it would involve the use of the Thunderbird Webmail extensions.  These would deliver the mail to Thunderbird from Webmail where a single checkbox change in the avast GUI would ensure that the received mail is scanned.

Where is this checkbox?
It's been already answered directly under your post.
try this: right-click on the avast! icon on the taskbar>"On-Access Protection Control">Details>Internet Mail>Customize>Advanced>Redirect>uncheck "Ignore Local Connection."
See the Tech's picture above.

squeekster

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 04:13:37 AM »
It's been already answered directly under your post.

I guess I must have missed it.  Sorry about that.  I guess I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one.   ;D

Anyway, I entered the POP settings and the SMTP settings with commas like the picture showed and unchecked the box.  Now when an email comes in, the email scan icon shows up in the tray next to the clock.  The only problem is, even though I told my firewall to let the email scanner work, nothing gets through. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »
If nothing gets through I'm not sure if you would be seeing the avast email icon as that is there when it is scanning something, unless you are only seeing it on outbound email.

It may be best to delete the entry for ashMaiSv.exe in your firewall and then manually try to collect your email, that should force your firewall to ask again.

Though I'm not entirely sure if avast is truly in the loop if your your thunderbird Gmail Add-on is the one doing the download and then avast scans the content of what it downloaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sesame

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 10:32:01 AM »
I entered the POP settings and the SMTP settings with commas like the picture showed and unchecked the box.  Now when an email comes in, the email scan icon shows up in the tray next to the clock.  The only problem is, even though I told my firewall to let the email scanner work, nothing gets through. 
The icon shows up?  As DavidR says, ashMaiSv.exe must be scanning but that "something" probably is inappropriate.
Could you check your setting for WebMail account?  Go Account Setting>Server Setting under your gmail account name

Server Name: 127.0.0.1
Port:110
User Name:your_google_account_name@gmail.com
Use Secure Connection: No

Please note that you shouldn't be using secure connection and that you need to use full gmail address for User Name.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »
Are you sure?
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
The best things in life are free.

Sesame

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 03:38:47 PM »
Are you sure?
Sure.  WebMail addon on Thunderbird requires fewer teaks compared with stunnel.  Now I forgot to point out that WebMail doesn't need the special port configuration after commas in Tech's screen shot.  Tech is using stunnel.  However, it is necessary to let it watch local traffic by unchecking the "ignore local connection" setting whether we are using WebMail addon or stunnel.

That said, I'd rather be happier with Thunderbird + Gmail IMAPs + stunnel.  We can make full use of Gmail's functions, especially the spam filter through IMAPs, too.
Take a look here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0 to see how to set up secure email with avast!.
This thread have links to more recent two threads, in both of which you are involved, with more updated info.  Stunnel installation is not so difficult if may be bit confusing and once it's set, we can forget about it.  WebMail addon has its special benefit such as making Thunderbird usable even under tight firewalls.