Author Topic: How do I format a computer?  (Read 11996 times)

Husk

How do I format a computer?
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:11:17 AM »
Hi, My computer has several problems and want to get rid of them, I thought a format would stop them.

I would like to know how please, and if possible could you tell me how to install my audio and graphics cards?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: How do I format a computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:17:50 AM »
Google is your Best Friend  ;)
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Husk

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
I FOUND THIS

How to Format a Computer with Windows XP

1. To format a computer with Windows XP or 2000, insert Windows CD and restart your computer.

2. Your computer should automatically boot from the CD to the Windows Setup Main Menu.

3. At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

4. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

5. If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

6. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition.

7. Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

8. Select the format option that you want to use for the partition (Recommended: NTFS), and then press ENTER.

9. After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue installing Windows.

But, Whats a partition? And how much MB should I have?

Husk

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:31:21 AM »
As for the cards, I can't find anything on google, There all showing pictures about taking your Monitor apart and putting a card in it. One of my friends dad's friend installed it by going somewhere in the files and folders, Such as click this then that then go to this folder etc.

Staind

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »
As for the cards, I can't find anything on google, There all showing pictures about taking your Monitor apart and putting a card in it. One of my friends dad's friend installed it by going somewhere in the files and folders, Such as click this then that then go to this folder etc.

What are you talking about here - the cards?

Husk

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:31 AM »
The audio and graphic Drivers

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 09:45:19 AM »
Husk suggests you find someone that can show you how to reformat your hard drive.
There are just to many variables and many things that need to be considered before you go ahead with this.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Husk

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
Mmm... Okay, I just want to get rid of all these problmes on my computer...  :'( :(

onlysomeone

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
Hi Husk!

Like I promised in an other topic I'll tell you what you want to know about formating a PC...

Basically the description you found is correct - but before you start you should save all your important files you have, because everything which is stored on the HDD/partition is going to be deleted! :

How to Format a Computer with Windows XP

1. To format a computer with Windows XP or 2000, insert Windows CD and restart your computer.

2. Your computer should automatically boot from the CD to the Windows Setup Main Menu.

3. At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.

4. Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.

5. If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. To bypass the repair, press ESC.

6. Use the ARROW keys to select the partition or the unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition. Press D to delete an existing partition, or press C to create a new partition.

7. Type the size in megabytes (MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition with the maximum size.

8. Select the format option that you want to use for the partition (Recommended: NTFS), and then press ENTER.

9. After the Windows Setup program formats the partition, follow the instructions that appear on the screen to continue installing Windows.

To answer your questions:

But, Whats a partition? And how much MB should I have?

A partition is a part of your HDD - you can separate it into more parts...

for you it probably is the easiest and best way only to use one partition - that means that if you get asked how big the partition should be while setting up windows, you should choose the whole possible space.

or which is more probable is that there is already one existing partition (probably C:) which only needs to be formatted

that means for you: if you get to the window where windows wants to know where you want to install it, there will be at least one entry where you can install windows (mostly the first entry in the list is the partition where already is Windows installed) - so you choose that one and format it --> then install windows on this partition...

The partition where windows is going to be installed should be not too small! at least 10 GB (if possible) because basically every program is installed on this partition and also the 'swap files' and the 'private files' are stored there...

i know this is difficult (also because I'm a bad guide... :-[) but if i was you i would just try to enter the windows CD and try to go to that window just to see which entry's are there... (which options) - but take care, that you don't delete the whole system ;)

if you need more help just ask

yours
onlysomeone

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
Husk,
A blunt but probably very effective solution for you and the safety of your computer
is for you to take your computer to a qualified repair shop.
Judging from the many posts you've made lately, your knowledge is very limited and
you may do more harm than good in trying to solve your problems.

Spend a few bucks and leave the job to a pro.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Sesame

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 05:04:10 PM »
Husk, it is probably good for you to listen to bob's wise counsel.  Custom-made PCs are chimeric, composed of variety of parts.  I cannot but repeat the same advice:  it would be suitable for you to ask the person who built your PC or someone who is reliable, accustomed to self-built PCs and can actually put his/her hands on your PC.

After your PC is fixed, you can come here or other security boards on the net, where you can learn how to protect your PC.  It's much easier to prevent infections rather than to get rid of them or recover PC.

onlysomeone

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:05 PM »
A blunt but probably very effective solution for you and the safety of your computer
is for you to take your computer to a qualified repair shop.
thats of course would be a better way ;)

I forgot that its not so easy for someone who probably doesn't work with computers so often... *sry*

setting up a computer is in general not very difficult - if you have some basic knowledge in these specific things...
(although i posted some advice how to do it, I also recommend to get help from someone else...)
if you don't want to pay anyone probably some relatives or friends which did something like that already can help you...
(i personally like helping my friends setting up their computers or solving some problems...)

yours
onlysomeone

Gouveia

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »
Husk, I strongly suggest you to create two partitions. One with about 3GBs, and the other with the remaining ammount. Move all your data to the bigger partition and leave only windows on the smaller. It can be 2GB if you really want, but it can give those "Disk Full" errors more often.

You can ask "Why?". Why? Just because if your windows gets lots of errors(just like mine did and still does), you only need to formart the windows partition, and you won't need to back up all the stuff from the bigger partition...

Just some advice :D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
won't need to back up all the stuff from the bigger partition...
The bigger partition contains all of your personal information like My Documents.
Not exactly something to leave unprotected or without a backup.

Programs can always be re-installed. Your data, once lost, can't unless it's been backed up.
Just my 2 cents.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 01:32:32 AM »
Totally agree with Bob if anything you could ignore the smaller partition as you in theory can reinstall windows and any programs, but your valuable data is lost of you don't back it up and have a problem.

I would also say 3GB is way too small even for XP partition. I run a pretty tight ship on the C partition (windows) and mine is still just under 4GB. I have mine set to 12GB and there should be no way it will get to that size, the last thing you want to undertake is a resizing of the windows partition.

I also echo Bobs comment about seeking professional help with a format and reinstall as they will have all the available tools to do the job. You will need your windows CD to reinstall and all security updates since your windows CD was created. This can be a lot and XP SP3 is available in some areas and that is a 350MB plus download I believe, the professional help may have this available without you having to download it.

A reformat isn't something to take lightly and I'm not sure of the problems that you have warrant a format and start from square one, a professional should be able to determine the best option.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 01:37:59 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security