Author Topic: Where is the Updates file?  (Read 4710 times)

romeonation

Where is the Updates file?
« on: March 26, 2004, 10:54:37 AM »
Hello
I frequently re-install my Windows OS.  

So, I normally backup all my software along with their updates.   I would like to know where Avast's update files are stored.  Suppose if I need to back up the updates file of Avast, so that I can re-install Avast after the re-installation of my OS, how can I restore the virus database?

Is there a single signature file or are the updates in a special folder?

Please let me know.

Backing up of virus updates is a very important feature of an anti-virus software, isn't it?  Otherwise, re-installing afresh and then downloading updates is really painful for dial-up users like me, right?

== Santosh C
      India

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Where is the Updates file?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 01:18:22 PM »
Hello
I frequently re-install my Windows OS.  

So, I normally backup all my software along with their updates.   I would like to know where Avast's update files are stored.  Suppose if I need to back up the updates file of Avast, so that I can re-install Avast after the re-installation of my OS, how can I restore the virus database?

Is there a single signature file or are the updates in a special folder?

Please let me know.

Backing up of virus updates is a very important feature of an anti-virus software, isn't it?  Otherwise, re-installing afresh and then downloading updates is really painful for dial-up users like me, right?

== Santosh C
      India

Santosh, wellcome to forums...

I think it's better to update by Internet even if you have a dial-up. The update will be fully integrated with your program (Registry, ini files and so on...).
But if you want to make a test, copy the folder setup under your avast! installation folder.  ;)

You can download the entire vps file (update for virus database) (it's just a few bigger than a floppy, it's not to big for a dial-up).  ;)
The best things in life are free.

romeonation

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 01:31:18 PM »
Thanks Technical!

I understand that the updates will make changes to the registry entries and ini files.

Yeah..you are right....even if I install my OS once in three months or so, it ain't really that bad to download AVAST! updates via my dialup.  

I am really impressed with the automatic updates of AVAST! , that is just the reason why I moved from my AVG6 to AVAST!.  I really love the AVAST skins too.  

== Santosh
      India

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 05:50:56 PM »
In order to have the latest possible updates, you may download latest full installer - setupful.exe. It's about 7MBs.

On the other hand, you may install the old one, the differential mechanism will _always_ download maximally these 7MBs, in fact I would be surprised if it would be over 3MBs.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 08:37:51 PM »
With specific reference to the vps updates, they're quick enough and smooth enough that if a new one's available, it'll usually download and install in the background and I'm not even aware of it until that advisory popup afterwards.  And I'm on a 56 dialup (auto-update for database updates).
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

romeonation

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 05:16:55 PM »
Hi Kucebj

Will there be a similar "complete" updates setup - setupful.exe, say in May 2004, and one in dec 2004?

Can I have a "full" update setup file every six months or so?

Thanks

Santosh   C
India

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 09:39:45 AM »
It is not a special "updates" setup - it's simply the installation package. If avast! is not installed on target computer, it will install it; when avast! is already installed, it will update it.
The setup executable is updated whenever an avast! update is released.