Author Topic: what is ashCnsnt executable?  (Read 7602 times)

fazio93

what is ashCnsnt executable?
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:32:07 PM »
 :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: what is ashCnsnt executable?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
avast! Consent dialog helper application...
Whatever it does... ???
The best things in life are free.

fazio93

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:41:07 PM »
ohhh.  another question. i run cfp 3.0. everytime i select "purge" this comes up (loook at screenshot). purge looks at all the rules to make sure the app for the rule is still installed. it says acvess denied. never got this before. happened ever since i installed sp3 yesterday.  :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »
Seems like CFP is trying to open all executables in avast! installation folder - and even open them for writing.
No idea why it might want to do that.

ashCnsnt.exe is responsible for the Consent dialog (the one you get when you try to stop avast! services, modify the .ini file, etc.)

fazio93

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:50:15 AM »
comodo forum members say it is prob. a program conflict and that i should config both to trust each other, but how can i get avast to trust cfp?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »
but how can i get avast to trust cfp?
Try the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

fazio93

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
something like C:\\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\*.*

?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 01:27:32 AM »
No, you need to be more specific and name the file effected, e.g. the one that is opening the avast files for writting, I have no idea how you might do that if it isn't the main comodo firewall executable.

Lose the double backslash\\ in the path, e.g. C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\comodo.exe or whatever the comodo executable is called.

However, I doubt that an exclusion would work as the problem isn't with avast scanning the comodo executable but the comodo file opening the avast executable files for writing, when this happens the avast self-defence kicks in to stop anything modifying the avast files (e.g. the open for write).

So you have to identify how you exclude comodo from scanning/opening the avast files and not the other way round.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:46:13 AM »
but cfp needs access to check if the app is still installed for the rule. i just want to know if this will cause any more serious conflicts in the future 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 02:16:57 PM »
You can have access it doesn't need right permission just to read/access it is the opening with write permission that the avast's self-defence is objecting to.

Why cfp needs write access is beyond me just to see that the file is still installed for a rule or to check if it has changed from what info it has on the previous version.

So unless it is actually changing something, which I feel is wrong, my firewall doesn't need to do that yet it keeps a record of info on various files and if they change it asks permission again, all this without opening avast files with write permission (so no objection from avast).

So as I see it you have two options, exclude the files in cfp or disable the self-defence module in avast and I know which option I would choose.

I would exclude the files in cfp as that is the lessor of two evils:
a) having a virus be able to disable avast because the self-defence module is disabled.
b) exclude the avast files in cfp as they are unlikely to present a security problem because the self-defence module is protecting them and avast has an integrity checker for its files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
You can have access it doesn't need right permission just to read/access it is the opening with write permission that the avast's self-defence is objecting to.

Why cfp needs write access is beyond me just to see that the file is still installed for a rule or to check if it has changed from what info it has on the previous version.

So unless it is actually changing something, which I feel is wrong, my firewall doesn't need to do that yet it keeps a record of info on various files and if they change it asks permission again, all this without opening avast files with write permission (so no objection from avast).

So as I see it you have two options, exclude the files in cfp or disable the self-defence module in avast and I know which option I would choose.

I would exclude the files in cfp as that is the lessor of two evils:
a) having a virus be able to disable avast because the self-defence module is disabled.
b) exclude the avast files in cfp as they are unlikely to present a security problem because the self-defence module is protecting them and avast has an integrity checker for its files.

this is all new in the .1192 beta, right? it never happened before i updated to it

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
I have no idea how new (exactly which beta build number) it might be, but the problem is still the same cfp trying to open files with write permission, now it is being detected and blocked by avast.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 03:07:01 PM »
No, it's not new - just the messages showing the some access was blocked are new.
Seing the confusion they bring, however, I guess we'll hide them again by default.

fazio93

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »
oh, ok

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 11:12:43 PM »
No, it's not new - just the messages showing the some access was blocked are new.
Seing the confusion they bring, however, I guess we'll hide them again by default.
At least, let the logs keep this info ;)