Author Topic: Continuous HDD Chatter  (Read 6724 times)

arkham618

Re: Continuous HDD Chatter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »
I mean remove avast temporarly, just to test, then reinstall.. If you have pro, then do this first..

I don't have Pro. When I uninstalled, the superfluous chatter was reduced, but did not go away, so now I can't even be sure avast! was the sole problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 01:06:55 AM »
The reduction would most likely be the fact that avast isn't scanning whatever is accessing the HDD.

When this activity is going on Open the Task Manager, Process tab and see if you can see where the activity might be coming from. You could also try a little program called FileMonitor, whilst that returns large amounts of data on file activity it does show opening files for write/read permission, etc. It isn't particularly user friendly but may reveal what is going on. Find it here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx  (File and Disk Utilities) there are a lot of other useful system tools there.

When running this tool it would probably be best not to have much running as I said it is very detailed and generates large amounts of data.

Edit removed suggestion for DiskMon as it doesn't show the files/processes responsible for disk access.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:12:09 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

arkham618

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:36 AM »
The reduction would most likely be the fact that avast isn't scanning whatever is accessing the HDD.

When this activity is going on Open the Task Manager, Process tab and see if you can see where the activity might be coming from. You could also try a little program called FileMonitor, whilst that returns large amounts of data on file activity it does show opening files for write/read permission, etc. It isn't particularly user friendly but may reveal what is going on. Find it here, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx  (File and Disk Utilities) there are a lot of other useful system tools there.

When running this tool it would probably be best not to have much running as I said it is very detailed and generates large amounts of data.

Edit removed suggestion for DiskMon as it doesn't show the files/processes responsible for disk access.

I already picked up ProcessMonitor for this purpose, but all it revealed was a lot of activity from svchost.exe and explorer.exe. A Google search indicates that there are viruses that can masquerade as these files, but scans of my HDD for signs of infection consistently come up negative.

Firebytes

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:43:26 AM »
@arkham618

I had the problem of avast scanning constantly (blue ball icon spinning incessantly) on my new laptop and on my mother's new laptop when we first got them. Neither was the fault of avast, it was doing what it was supposed to do, scan files as they run. The problem was that on both systems there were processes starting with Windows that were constantly searching/accessing the hard disk, etc.

I suggest you go to Start>Run type msconfig, click on the startup tab and make note of all your startup items. Google the different processes and check if any can be disabled safely without adversely affecting the system (you would be surprised how many startups are really unneeded). You may find posts at different sites from other users who have had problems with certain processes that you may also have. PCMService.exe was the offending startup on my Dell laptop. Once I disabled it from starting with Windows my problem disappeared and it was a totally unneeded process anyway. I don't remember the process that caused the problem on my mother's system but it too was unneeded, plus it had two copies of itself running before I disabled it.

arkham618

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 08:25:11 AM »
Oops. Posted to wrong forum. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 11:42:16 AM by arkham618 »