Author Topic: Ashavast.exe - stalls as local user, causes multiple processes, runs CPU to 100%  (Read 36835 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Using the command-line FTP from Windows is not that hard:

1. start ftp.exe (e.g. from Start Menu / Run)

Now, type the following (excluding the numbers in the beginning of the lines, <enter> means Enter key):
2. lcd <local_directory_with_the_dump_file><enter>
3. open ftp.avast.com<enter>
4. anonymous<enter>
5. guest<enter>
6. bi<enter>
7. ha<enter>
8. cd incoming<enter>
9. put <dump_file_name><enter>
10. bye

blue2

Using the command-line FTP from Windows is not that hard:

Thank you. That worked fine. I just don't use DOS commands often enough to remember any of them.

DavidR, thanks for the suggestion. However, using FTP via the weblink did NOT work for me with either Firefox or IE7. Both opened a "Do you want to save file" dialog when I attempted to drag and drop the file. As I also had to open up my firewall ruleset to allow each outgoing FTP connection, I imagine I would have been been prompted to open an FTP port if FTP via the weblink had worked.

Once the dmp file has been looked over, will something get posted here? I can always suggest that those whose machines I've installed Avast run scans as administrator, but I was trying to avoid that.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
That is the idea and the reason for using a unique file name so it can be linked to the topic. Once you upload it successfully, post that fact in the topic and give the name of the uploaded dmp file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blue2

Perhaps I missed it, but didn't remember anyone indicating to use a unique file name for the dmp file or even to link it to this thread. That's why I asked how the file would ever lead back here. ;)  I'm only trying to help out a friend whose machines I installed Avast on, and it's easier if the procedures to be followed are spelled out.

The file has now been uploaded again, this time with the filename blue2_Ashavast.exe.dmp.

And again, I appreciate any help that can be provided on why the scan engine won't run using local user privileges under XP Pro SP2.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:25:56 AM by blue2 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Perhaps you should test the latest 4.8.1195 version.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
1195 should resolve the issue.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

blue2

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll be happy to update to 4.8.1195 if it has now been officially released. That can just be updated via the interface in the installed version as long as the self-defense is turned off?

Did anyone else have an issue about not being able to run scans as a local user under XP Pro SP2? I was just surprised to not see it mentioned anywhere, and there apparently was some difference of opinion even in this thread about whether administrator privileges were required or not. So even if the new build resolves the issues, for learning purposes. I'd still be curious to know what caused the issue with Ashavast stalling.

Thanks again!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
You don't need to turn anything off (self-defense) to perform the program update.
Just click Updating -> Program Update and you should be all set.

Thanks
Vlk

blue2

Ok, great. Thanks Vik. That sounds like it should be painless enough!

By chance, do you happen to have any further insight about the privilege issue? Will someone still look over the dmp file to let us know if it might be caused by an unforseen conflict with something else...(fingers crossed)?

blue2

I just updated to build 4.8.1195, however the problem has persisted.

Scans still cannot be run as a local user under XP Pro SP2.

So could the technicians kindly look over the dump file previously provided (blue2_Ashavast.exe.dmp) so we can determine what is causing the Ashavast.exe process to stall when the desktop icon is clicked as a local user, maxing out the CPU at 100% when it does.

Thank you!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Unfortunately, the dump is of no use as the processing is taking place in kernel mode (which is not included in the dump).

The only way to properly analyze the problem is to create a full dump of the system when the problem is simulated.
The procedure is described here: http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71

BTW one thing to check: when you right click the shortcut (the icon) that you use to launch avast, select Properties and go to the Compatibility page, isn't the "Run this program in compatibility mode" box checked?.

Thanks
Vlk

blue2

Ok, thanks for that quick reply, Vik. Once I have access to the machine this afternoon I'll check if compatibility mode is enabled.

But I'm tempted to remove it completely, along with the skins that were installed, and then just reinstall the new build alone (no skins, and not updating the build). Perhaps that will be a quicker way to resolve the privilege issue.

Would you suggest Add/Remove, then using the aswclear.exe utility to be sure it's been fully removed?

Thanks again.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Would you suggest Add/Remove, then using the aswclear.exe utility to be sure it's been fully removed?

It won't hurt. :)

blue2

No luck.

I uninstalled Avast. Rebooted. Then ran the aswclear.exe utility. Rebooted. Used CCCleaner to remove any registry references to Avast. Then regedit to manually search the registry to be sure no remnants were left. Then re-installed the new build without any skins. And the issue persists.

As administrator everything works as it should. But as a local user, only the context scan and the system tray functions work. The desktop or start menu shortcut to Avast (ashavast.exe) will not open, freezes the CPU at 99%, and because the process can't be killed, the only solution is a reboot. (Not very practical.)

Before the reboot occurs, there is an indication that Active Skin Helper cannot shut down. Perhaps this is a natural outcome of the stalled process.

When I check the security settings of the actual Avast.exe file, it indicates Read as well as Read and Execute for ALL USERS.

When I check the Properties / Compatibility of Avast.exe, the "Run this program in compatibility mode" box is NOT checked. Were you suggesting that it should be as the program is running on XP Pro SP2, and not a previous OS.

If I use the "Run As" administrator command on the local user desktop icon, it will open perfectly. So it surely seems to me that this is a privilege related issue.

Are there any known conflicts that would cause such an issue, and don't the Avast techs have any idea of what to look at as there are NO system anomalies aside from this local user issue after installing Avast?

blue2

Any further word on this?

In addition to the questions in my previous post, does ashavast.exe invoke certain DLLS that require escalated privileges to run?  Since I installed Avast on a friend's machine and have everything pretty well locked down, perhaps it invokes something that is prevented from running.

Since it happens when no other application is running, does not happen with the Avast system tray functions, does not happen with the Avast context menu functions, does not happen on an administrator account, and ONLY happens on a local user account, I would think that pretty well limits where the issue might be coming from. What Ashavast functions could require escalated privileges to run?

I'd just hesitate installing this on any other friends' systems, if I can't get any closer to understanding this after several days of removal, system cleaning, and re-installation with an updated build have apparently done nothing. Thanks.