Author Topic: window explorer open my document folder on starup  (Read 3726 times)

ampai

window explorer open my document folder on starup
« on: May 09, 2008, 04:06:24 AM »
I am a new user of avast home edition after using AVG for the past 10 years. Beginning to get use to the new AV. The only problem is after the installation, every time I start up my pc widow explorer open my document folder by default. This is not a big problem but quite annoying. I could not find the item on msconfig and I try some suggestion obtained from the net, it still remains.

I don't know what causes this but appreciate if any one can help. Thanks

ADD: OS window xp sp2
        comodo firewall V3
        comodo boclean
        spyware terminator
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:18:08 AM by ampai »

onlysomeone

Re: window explorer open my document folder on starup
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:13:32 AM »
Do you have anything in the Autostart-folder?

(Start --> All programs --> Autostart)

ampai

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
none

rassel

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
(Start --> All programs --> Autostart)

Not everyone have this shortcut.Even me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »
Into Windows Explorer > Tools > Options
There is an option to avoid restoring the old opened folders. I suppose it's not turned on.
Is there any other infection symptom? Is your computer clean?
Maybe you could check with autoruns (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/systeminformation/autoruns.mspx) which other startup entries could be related to this.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
This opening of a folder, my documents or otherwise, can be as a result of a missing file that has a run command to open, this happened to me some years ago and that was the cause.

onlysomeone is on the right track, but as rassel said not everyone will have this shortcut. So Windows Start button, Run and type msconfig, click OK from the pop-up window click the Startup tab and look for an entry that originates from the my documents folder.

If you find any (report those found) check and see if it is from a redundant program, it could possibly be malware that has been removed but the startup entry still exists.

If nothing is found, there are other tools to try and find where it might be in the registry, Tech mentions Autoruns, if nothing found in that then try.
Program & Tutorial - Also useful as a diagnostic tool - FileHippo Download - HiJackThis and post the contents of the HJT log file here. - HJT Information HiJackThis Tutorial.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:42:56 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ampai

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »
After spending hours on the net searching for solution, I finally found the solution on the following website
http://www.windowsreference.com/general/my-documents-folder-at-windows-system-startup/. thanks anyway.