Author Topic: avast using 100% of my cpu?  (Read 11612 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast using 100% of my cpu?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Does it do this for any other folder ?

The reason I ask this is that I don't know if the placing of a folder on the desktop might be treated differently to a folder in (what I would call) a normal location like c:\downloads. This might be even more likely if you have the desktop set as an active desktop.

So is the desktop set as active ?

But in any case I think it best to move the downloads folder off the desktop and preferably on to a fixed drive (you might not have your external one connected all the time).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

alternati

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 12:04:32 AM »
Dabossa, Casually... ¿do you have big exe files or big compressed exe files in this folder?

I have little problems of 100% CPU usage when I try explorer my folder of downloads because this kind of files, with a manual update of Avast seems to have be resolved.

Try move this kind of files to another folder and try again explorer or navigate through your folder of download to see if the 100% CPU problems persists.

Greetings !!!!

EDIT EDIT:
¿Do you have directs links to folder or files that are shared in other computer of your network?
Specially, in the desktop, if you have this directs links and your remote computer is offline the navigation by explorer may be very slow. I had problems with this in past.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:13:29 AM by alternati »

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 01:49:32 AM »
i discovered something quite disturbing stuff like when i use latest Avast + start Last.Fm (loads page about authors via IE API) then already opened IE7 windows go to stall (e.g. playing YouTube video completely freeze for 1s)

this is on 3.6GHz C2D running Windows XP Pro SP3

i don't remember to have similar problems with 4.7 ...

once i also got weird system stall , avast was locked at 100% usage of both cores and i was unable to do anything except hard restart (alt tab was working but no other application was able to respond not even TM or Process Explorer nor any way to task kill)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 01:57:53 AM »
Hi Dwarden,

Do not have this problem, but the anti-rootkit scanners takes rather quite a bit of cycles,

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 03:22:49 AM »
well the stall problem happened when i paused and restarted the Avast! Standard shield provider ...

btw. i'm not using the self defense mode due to some 'weird' things going on before (may re-enable that after some weeks when noone report issues lol)
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 06:46:56 AM »
Dwarden,

your problem description sounds somewhat similar to this report.