Other > General Topics
HELP!! Not so Technical NEWBIE
<< < (6/9) > >>
bbfi:

--- Quote ---bbfi, if I tried all that on my system...ah, you guys would never get me out of that trouble!
--- End quote ---

Since your first postings, I believe you have come a long way and with the help from all here, things would work out. ;D

But, not all of these are necessary for everyone. It really depends on your situation. We have a website, mailing lists with thousands of email addresses, and receive credit cards sales and donations through PayPal.

Plus, when you run a nationwide Christian prison ministry, this opens you up to all types of replies (some of which you don't want to know about). And we use cable broadband, so we are online as soon as the computer starts. :o

During the MyDoom outbreak, we were receiving 300 or more of this virus or worm per day and this went on for 3 weeks. Now it's the Netsky and Bagel viruses. Therefore, we have to spend a lot of time in our defense strategy against viruses, worms, trojans, spam, etc. :o

For the casual user with dialup, my suggestions would be total overkill. My recommendation for this type of user would be Avast antivirus (not only because it is a terrific antivirus program, but the forum is the best for advice and help), Ad-Aware for spyware, a good firewall (Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, EZ firewall), and a spam checker (Spamihilator, SpamPal, K9, G-Lock SpamCombat). ;)
bbfi:

--- Quote ---Will these be necessary?
Bazooka Spyware Scanner
a2 free
--- End quote ---
Not really. Just more free protection in my view. ::)

--- Quote ---Can you explain a little about these ones? Do they have a resident provider or just a backup scanning (not resident)?
ANTIDOTE for PC Viruses - SuperLite (secondary scanner)
eScan Antivirus Toolkit Utility (secondary scanner)
--- End quote ---
These are for backup scanning only. They do not have resident scanning in the free versions. :-\
CoJo:

--- Quote from: bbfi on March 29, 2004, 01:15:53 AM ---
--- Quote ---bbfi, if I tried all that on my system...ah, you guys would never get me out of that trouble!
--- End quote ---

Since your first postings, I believe you have come a long way and with the help from all here, things would work out. ;D

But, not all of these are necessary for everyone. It really depends on your situation. We have a website, mailing lists with thousands of email addresses, and receive credit cards sales and donations through PayPal.

Plus, when you run a nationwide Christian prison ministry, this opens you up to all types of replies (some of which you don't want to know about). And we use cable broadband, so we are online as soon as the computer starts. :o

During the MyDoom outbreak, we were receiving 300 or more of this virus or worm per day and this went on for 3 weeks. Now it's the Netsky and Bagel viruses. Therefore, we have to spend a lot of time in our defense strategy against viruses, worms, trojans, spam, etc. :o

For the casual user with dialup, my suggestions would be total overkill. My recommendation for this type of user would be Avast antivirus (not only because it is a terrific antivirus program, but the forum is the best for advice and help), Ad-Aware for spyware, a good firewall (Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, EZ firewall), and a spam checker (Spamihilator, SpamPal, K9, G-Lock SpamCombat). ;)

--- End quote ---

thank you for the encouragement, bbfi!
and I would think you would need that much to guard your information...
Before disability rambled into my life, I was active in my church's ministry for women in prison in Alabama. We needed a tough skin but peaceful heart...

cojo
bbfi:
CoJo,

--- Quote ---We needed a tough skin but peaceful heart...
--- End quote ---
True.  I'm glad the Lord provides the peace for us.  We get all types of responses from inmates.  Most of them make us feel like all the trouble we go to in reaching them is worth the while and that what we are doing is definitely helping change the hearts and minds (actually, it's the Lord that is doing that, we are only the messengers) of people who turned to crime for one reason or the other.   :o

However, (here is where we need a tough skin), there have been times that inmates have threatened us, cursed us, etc. and this does build up a tough skin.  One inmate told us that if it wasn't for God protecting us, he would kill us if he got out (he was in prison for killing a minister's daughter).  :o

But, you know what is really sad? The majority of responses we get from inmates and chaplains are nicer than those we get from emails from those on the outside.   :'(

BTW - We assist the chaplains in the following prisons in Alabama -
Bullock Correctional Facility, Union Springs, AL (State - Men)
Easterling Correctional Facility, Clio, AL (State - Men)
Staton Correctional Facility, Elmore, AL (State - Men)
Tutwiler Prison for Women, Wetumpka, AL (State - Women)
Wm. E. Donaldson Corr. Facility, Bessemer, AL (State - Men)
Did you visit any of them?
CoJo:
Tutwiler Prison for Women, Wetumpka, AL (State - Women)

oh yes...weekly for a long time...one of the most challenging and rewarding times of my life, bbfi.
it equaled my time in Nam as far as giving me strength and character.
but I would not change one second of either...

and, yes, many people do not understand and lash out because they have no true peace in their hearts...but I firmly believe that it awakens something in them. seeds are planted, but we do not see the harvest...

cojo
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version