Author Topic: HELP!! Not so Technical NEWBIE  (Read 25492 times)

Offline phil2

Re:HELP!! Not so Technical NEWBIE
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2004, 01:30:34 AM »
I second Cojo's words.
I must be the father of the technically challenged ::)
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 05:38:16 PM »
Cojo and Phil won't be my grandparents but only my mother and father...
I'm not so young  :-\
The best things in life are free.

bubbleoffplumb

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
hello, hello

so these are the viruses (or is it virii?)
hangin' out in the chest area:

win32 subsearch
win32 Trogen-gen (other)

I couldn't find much info under these names.
How can I find out more about them?

also...
I now have avast, in addition to spysweeper, and adaware.
anything else anyone can suggest to keep me on the safe side?

I plan on switching browsers and email stuff -
probably over to mozilla. ( I currently use IE, and outlook).

Thanks again, and again.
I do appreciate ALL the help
(so glad you were here).

p.s. Thanks Mom, and Dad
Uncle Mac, Uncle Techie, and cousin wannabe
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 06:09:11 PM by bubbleoffplumb »

CoJo

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2004, 06:52:34 PM »
Cojo and Phil won't be my grandparents but only my mother and father...
I'm not so young  :-\

;D ...this old broad really is old enough to be your grandmomma!
and, Technical, I am technically challenged for sure...you, on the other hand, are very good at teaching me!
thank you, my friend!

cojo

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2004, 09:13:31 PM »
bubblroffplump, mozilla will be best. Mozilla 1.7 is about to be released it has email and browser in one and is not buggy like firefox.
Download spybot S&D and update it that will complete your arsenal.

to find out more about the chest files copy them to a floppy and scan the floppy useing trendmicro housecall and give me the names it reports and I will search for more information on them.

Http://housecall.trendmicro.com
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

bbfi

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2004, 09:17:13 PM »
Hi bubbleoffplumb,

also... I now have avast, in addition to spysweeper, and adaware.
anything else anyone can suggest to keep me on the safe side?
I recommend WinPatrol 7.0 http://www.winpatrol.com/ The free version is what I use. Also, a good program (free version is good enough) is a² free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/.

I plan on switching browsers and email stuff -
probably over to mozilla.
Excellent idea (in my opinion). I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. If you need any help in these applications (if you decide to use them), feel free to ask here (the Mozilla forum is not as friendly as this one and sometimes some of the people there are quite rude and obnoxious). You will always feel like you are with friends here at Avast. ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 09:19:45 PM by bbfi »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2004, 12:13:01 AM »
Also, a good program (free version is good enough) is a² free http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/.

Do you really think it is a good application? I tried in the past but I did not feel good with it: bad update, do not find anything more than avast (or Spybot and Ad-aware)... I enter in their forum but I don't 'live' so much there. Does is become better?

If you need any help in these applications (if you decide to use them), feel free to ask here (the Mozilla forum is not as friendly as this one and sometimes some of the people there are quite rude and obnoxious). You will always feel like you are with friends here at Avast. ;D

avast! forum is becoming an utopia, the lost paradise of helping...  ;D

bbfi

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2004, 12:38:52 AM »
Do you really think it is a good application? I tried in the past but I did not feel good with it: bad update
The updates are fairly regular now. There was a problem when it first came out and back in February when Andreas Haak's father died. It appears to be fine now.

I believe the more applications you can use to check for malware, the better you protect your computer. I also use ewido security suite http://www.ewido.net/en/ which checks for malware too. This program updates fairly regularly and is free. ;)

Of course, my first line of defense is Avast which does a superb job. ;D

My complete line of defense are -

Avast Home edition AV (resident)
BitDefender Free Edition (secondary scanner)
ANTIDOTE for PC Viruses - SuperLite (secondary scanner)
eScan Antivirus Toolkit Utility (secondary scanner)
Spyware Blaster
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Bazooka Spyware Scanner
HijackThis - scan and log for spyware
WinPatrol 7.0
a2 free
ewido security suite
Script Sentry
Kerio Firewall 4.0.13
Spamihilator 0.9.8.1
Mozilla Firefox .8 Browser
Mozilla Thunderbird .5 Email

All of these programs work well on my computer, all are free, and updates are pretty regular. :D

CoJo

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »
bbfi states:
All of these programs work well on my computer, all are free, and updates are pretty regular.

bbfi, if I tried all that on my system...ah, you guys would never get me out of that trouble! ;D

cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2004, 01:00:47 AM »
Thanks bbfi.

I think these applications can handle everything:
Ad-Aware + Spybot S&D + Spyware Blaster + Spyware Guard

Will these be necessary?
Bazooka Spyware Scanner
a2 free

Can you explain a little about these ones? Do they have a resident provider or just a backup scanning (not resident)?

bbfi

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2004, 01:15:53 AM »
bbfi, if I tried all that on my system...ah, you guys would never get me out of that trouble!

Since your first postings, I believe you have come a long way and with the help from all here, things would work out. ;D

But, not all of these are necessary for everyone. It really depends on your situation. We have a website, mailing lists with thousands of email addresses, and receive credit cards sales and donations through PayPal.

Plus, when you run a nationwide Christian prison ministry, this opens you up to all types of replies (some of which you don't want to know about). And we use cable broadband, so we are online as soon as the computer starts. :o

During the MyDoom outbreak, we were receiving 300 or more of this virus or worm per day and this went on for 3 weeks. Now it's the Netsky and Bagel viruses. Therefore, we have to spend a lot of time in our defense strategy against viruses, worms, trojans, spam, etc. :o

For the casual user with dialup, my suggestions would be total overkill. My recommendation for this type of user would be Avast antivirus (not only because it is a terrific antivirus program, but the forum is the best for advice and help), Ad-Aware for spyware, a good firewall (Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, EZ firewall), and a spam checker (Spamihilator, SpamPal, K9, G-Lock SpamCombat). ;)

bbfi

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2004, 01:20:24 AM »
Will these be necessary?
Bazooka Spyware Scanner
a2 free
Not really. Just more free protection in my view. ::)

Can you explain a little about these ones? Do they have a resident provider or just a backup scanning (not resident)?
These are for backup scanning only. They do not have resident scanning in the free versions. :-\

CoJo

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2004, 01:46:38 AM »
bbfi, if I tried all that on my system...ah, you guys would never get me out of that trouble!

Since your first postings, I believe you have come a long way and with the help from all here, things would work out. ;D

But, not all of these are necessary for everyone. It really depends on your situation. We have a website, mailing lists with thousands of email addresses, and receive credit cards sales and donations through PayPal.

Plus, when you run a nationwide Christian prison ministry, this opens you up to all types of replies (some of which you don't want to know about). And we use cable broadband, so we are online as soon as the computer starts. :o

During the MyDoom outbreak, we were receiving 300 or more of this virus or worm per day and this went on for 3 weeks. Now it's the Netsky and Bagel viruses. Therefore, we have to spend a lot of time in our defense strategy against viruses, worms, trojans, spam, etc. :o

For the casual user with dialup, my suggestions would be total overkill. My recommendation for this type of user would be Avast antivirus (not only because it is a terrific antivirus program, but the forum is the best for advice and help), Ad-Aware for spyware, a good firewall (Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Sygate, EZ firewall), and a spam checker (Spamihilator, SpamPal, K9, G-Lock SpamCombat). ;)

thank you for the encouragement, bbfi!
and I would think you would need that much to guard your information...
Before disability rambled into my life, I was active in my church's ministry for women in prison in Alabama. We needed a tough skin but peaceful heart...

cojo

bbfi

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2004, 02:07:37 AM »
CoJo,

We needed a tough skin but peaceful heart...
True.  I'm glad the Lord provides the peace for us.  We get all types of responses from inmates.  Most of them make us feel like all the trouble we go to in reaching them is worth the while and that what we are doing is definitely helping change the hearts and minds (actually, it's the Lord that is doing that, we are only the messengers) of people who turned to crime for one reason or the other.   :o

However, (here is where we need a tough skin), there have been times that inmates have threatened us, cursed us, etc. and this does build up a tough skin.  One inmate told us that if it wasn't for God protecting us, he would kill us if he got out (he was in prison for killing a minister's daughter).  :o

But, you know what is really sad? The majority of responses we get from inmates and chaplains are nicer than those we get from emails from those on the outside.   :'(

BTW - We assist the chaplains in the following prisons in Alabama -
Bullock Correctional Facility, Union Springs, AL (State - Men)
Easterling Correctional Facility, Clio, AL (State - Men)
Staton Correctional Facility, Elmore, AL (State - Men)
Tutwiler Prison for Women, Wetumpka, AL (State - Women)
Wm. E. Donaldson Corr. Facility, Bessemer, AL (State - Men)
Did you visit any of them?

CoJo

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2004, 02:25:53 AM »
Tutwiler Prison for Women, Wetumpka, AL (State - Women)

oh yes...weekly for a long time...one of the most challenging and rewarding times of my life, bbfi.
it equaled my time in Nam as far as giving me strength and character.
but I would not change one second of either...

and, yes, many people do not understand and lash out because they have no true peace in their hearts...but I firmly believe that it awakens something in them. seeds are planted, but we do not see the harvest...

cojo