Author Topic: Web Shield no longer functioning!  (Read 3881 times)

east yorkie

Web Shield no longer functioning!
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »
Updated to version 4.8.1195 and now my Web Shield scanner is not functioning, it states that it is waiting for a sub system to start.  I have checked my firewall (Comodo) and the settings are the same as before also the Avast Internet Mail, Network and Standard Shields are working.  I have Windows XP Home SP2 installed.

If this problem has already been covered elsewhere could someone please redirect me, thanks.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Web Shield no longer functioning!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
Is the avast! WebScanner service running?
Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:54 PM »
Have you tried stopping the provider (even though it is marked as waiting for subsystem to start) and starting it again? Did comodo FW popup you with a message stating that the executable was changed ?

east yorkie

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:50 PM »
Hi Vlk,  Yes it was running but as I say it stated that it was waiting for a sub system to start and the icon showed only 3 of the 4 providers I use as running.  Anyway, I have sorted it by terminating the service and restarting it and all seems fine now, this did not happened the first time I terminated it but after a couple of re-boots it worked so hopefully all will be ok now.  Will let you know if the problem returns all the best and many thanks for all the hard work you have all put into this new release.

east yorkie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:39 PM »
Hi lukor,  I was typing the above as you was posting.  I am sure the problem was with Comodo as I had got several pop-ups regarding the AshmaiSv.exe before it finally decided to let mail through - both POP3 and web mail.  It was only after sorting this out did I notice that only 3 of the 4 providers I use was functioning and as I had not got any further Comodo pop-ups (for the AshWebSev.exe) I assumed that it was something else that was preventing the service from running, anyway, as I said after terminating the Web Shield function and restarting it a couple of times all seems to be ok.  Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:42:03 PM by east yorkie »

east yorkie

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
Just updated to latest Avast version (Build 4.8.1201).  Install went well and the reboot took 55 seconds. The Web Shield was not functioning after install but after terminating the service and re-starting it all is now working.  I turned off the self defence mode before updating and restarted it once install had been carried out; don't know if I needed to but did so in order to avoid any possible problems.  Thanks to all at Avast please keep up the great work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »
You shouldn't need to disable the self-defence module to do the program or iAVS updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

east yorkie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:48:09 AM »
I was just erring on the side of caution as I did not want to encounter any problems!  :)