Author Topic: Permission Denied in scan result  (Read 8031 times)

MacNursee2B

Permission Denied in scan result
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:16 AM »
I'm relatively new to Avast and really new to my MAC so I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but every time I run a scan it it will come up with a list of 180+ things where it says Permission denied.  What is this, is it bad and how do I fix it or does it need to be fixed?  Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Permission Denied in scan result
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 03:04:51 AM »
If it works like Windows, it's normal. Files are in use.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.
The best things in life are free.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Permission Denied in scan result
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »
I'm relatively new to Avast and really new to my MAC so I'm not sure if this is a problem or not but every time I run a scan it it will come up with a list of 180+ things where it says Permission denied.  What is this, is it bad and how do I fix it or does it need to be fixed?  Thanks!

Hallo,
MacOS is an unix-like system. There are users, permissions, strict separation of system/users and user/other_users. For system files, premission denied is normal.

But, try our latest version, those warning are hidden by default, so they won't confuse you anymore:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54952.0

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)