Author Topic: Command to run Avast automatically after download?  (Read 12221 times)

Alphaz

Command to run Avast automatically after download?
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
I am using "Free Download Manager" for downloading in Firefox. I would like to auotmatically invoke Avast (Free version) whenever a download completes. Any advise on the command that I can use to achieve it?

t1n0m3n

Re: Command to run Avast automatically after download?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
I use "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe %1"

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 02:35:04 PM »
You should be able to get away without the %1 parameter unless that is a download manager requirement as avast doesn't need one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:14:44 AM »
I use Free Download Manager and it needs (not avast) the parameter:
%file%
The best things in life are free.

Alphaz

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »
%file%

I tested using "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" & "%file%" in the argument textbox and all went well. Thanks so much for the kind advice and info.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind advice and info.  :)
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
The %file% parameter is a FDM's need, but I suppose it would be useful to know other optional command-line parameters that could fit the users of FDM.

Moreover, FDM includes a list of default antivirus software, with the option to manually add any other program or to change the defaults for that list. Other popular antivirus softwares, including free ones, are already in the list, but not Avast Home Edition.

As a suggestion to the Avast Support Team, it would be useful to get in contact with freedownloadmanager.org and suggest to their devs to add Avast Home Edition to the list of antivirus software for the next build of FDM, and give them all the ashquick.exe command-line appropriate options. This could be useful for users, but also could contribute to Avast! Home Edition popularity, being FDM free and under GNU Public License.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
As a suggestion to the Avast Support Team, it would be useful to get in contact with freedownloadmanager.org and suggest to their devs to add Avast Home Edition to the list of antivirus software for the next build of FDM, and give them all the ashquick.exe command-line appropriate options. This could be useful for users, but also could contribute to Avast! Home Edition popularity, being FDM free and under GNU Public License.
I second this...

Sammo

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »
%file%

I tested using "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" & "%file%" in the argument textbox and all went well. Thanks so much for the kind advice and info.  :)
This setting will cause ashQuick.exe to crash every other download or so. I think FDM needs to update to work correctly with the latest avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 02:00:20 AM »
This setting will cause ashQuick.exe to crash every other download or so. I think FDM needs to update to work correctly with the latest avast.
Hmmm... it works for me...

Sammo

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:42:07 AM »
Hmmm... it works for me...

I also tried Orbit Downloader and it crashes ashQuick.exe as well.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:03:55 AM »
What's the error message?
Can you try to repair your avast installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Sammo

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 05:57:09 AM »
What's the error message?
Can you try to repair your avast installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?
I did the repair and still no luck. See the attached file with the error report.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
The attached file doesn't contain any information about the error, it's just a list of loaded modules.
What if you run ashQuick.exe manually (e.g. as ashQuick.exe c:\windows, or ashQuick.exe c:\windows\notepad.exe) ?

Sammo

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »
The attached file doesn't contain any information about the error, it's just a list of loaded modules.
What if you run ashQuick.exe manually (e.g. as ashQuick.exe c:\windows, or ashQuick.exe c:\windows\notepad.exe) ?

ashQuick.exe has never crashed when I run it manually. It also does not crash when using GetRight. It has only crashed when using Free Download Manager or Orbit Downloader.