Author Topic: Deployment not working on windows 7 machine. Catalog problems also.  (Read 7019 times)

sumdumgoy

I'm trying to use the client .msi I created with the ADNM console to manually install to a Windows 7 Pro workstation. I transfer the .msi to the workstation and then double click the .msi. It tries to launch but then the dialog box disappears and nothing happens.

I'm also having problems generating a catalog in ADNM. There are 16 machines on the network, but ADNM only see's 4 of those. I'm implementing all of this on a peer to peer network (no Active Directory) and am beginning to wonder if I should just add all of the machines by creating a list in a .txt file.

To clarify, when I run the discovery task the status pane says that it's seeing many more machines than it is actually adding to the catalog. I've tried refreshing but to no avail.

Any ideas?

wpn

Re: Deployment not working on windows 7 machine. Catalog problems also.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »
the username which you use in the installation package is the same as the administrative account (administrator in Win7 is disabled by default) that you have created on ALL the machines?

ADNM is mainly build for use in an AD enviroment, it is possible without it, but its a lot more work i believe....
Since the standard scanning for computers on the network is done in conjunction with DNS which is an integral part of Active Directory it is not surprising that you cant find most of the computers, if you use the IP based scan (extra settings) and you still dont see the computers then u probably have a firewall on the client blocking the discovery
(configure the firewall or disable it)

its probably easiest to make a txt file with the computers u got, u dont have that much 1 minute of typing (if u standardised the computernaming ofcourse, which would be best practice) and see what happens from there

sumdumgoy

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
What concerns me about the catalog issue is that when the discovery task runs, one of the panes is listing many of the machines on the network and saying that it is adding them to the catalog, but it's not actually adding them. Anyone seen this before? I'm contemplating a reinstall of ADNM at this point.

wpn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:38:10 AM »
your sure its not adding them??

it also tells in which container they get added if the name already existed in a container it will be there instead of the standard container