Author Topic: AVG 8.0 "The search for truth"  (Read 17998 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
AVG 8.0 "The search for truth"
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:39:23 AM »
AVG will not support 7.5 after May 31, and version 8 has an email scanner that expires after 30 days.
I can't believe Grisoft is doing this s*it... Oh, no... It won't be a complete free solution as antivirus anymore. Congratulations Alwil team... you'll get tons of new users, ex-AVG like me...

Hi Tech. You would do well to trust your instincts. Regrettably (for Alwil) fidmas's sources aren't exactly reliable.

Official end of support for AVG 7.5 is 31/12/2008 http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,123812,123812#msg-123812

30-day trial period for email scanner is a rumour started as a result of a mistake by a reviewer. http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9928087-12.html

I just found the AVG disclaimer at http://free.grisoft.com/ww.news.ndi-93837 .  Sorry again for the bad info!  I wonder if that is true for the Anti-Spyware part too...  V7.5 Anti-Spyware was crippled (stopped updating and Real-Time scans after 30 days).  Do they mean V8 got better? :-/

Hi fidmas

Don't feel bad about the misinformation. You weren't the only one. The "support ending 31 May" message seems to have been an "own goal" judging by the number of friends, colleagues, etc who've asked me about alternatives.

AVG Antispyware 7.5 did have a trial period for real-time scanning.
"As AVG Anti-Spyware and AVG Anti-Rootkit are now only included in commercial versions of AVG 8.0. Updates will soon be discontinued"
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:48:45 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVG 8.0 "The search for truth"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »
So, what will we have? Just an antivirus with the antispyware just for 30 day trial?
Not that we recommend AVG that much, but we will have another argument to go away from it? (besides the poor support, the 'boxes' interface, etc.).
The best things in life are free.

fidmas

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »
So, what will we have? Just an antivirus with the antispyware just for 30 day trial?
Not that we recommend AVG that much, but we will have another argument to go away from it? (besides the poor support, the 'boxes' interface, etc.).

God only knows!  When I asked that question at the AVG forum http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?12,125276,125288#msg-125288 I lied "a little" to not sound like an Ex-AVG-User.  I asked "Just one Q before installing. Is the Anti-Spyware part of AVG AV Free 8 time-limited, as the 7.5 Anti-Spyware program is?"  As you can see, my answer was kinda short. :-)  No answer on the follow-up yet. :-|

I'm starting not to care any more.  AVG was getting to be a pain anyway.

/fidmas

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:26:04 AM »

Tech
None of AVG 8.0 Free features are timelimited in any way despite numerous rumours to contrary.

AVG 8.0 Free seems to be getting a hard time on the support forum, most complaining about:

High impact on PC speed, higher RAM footprint (which we know is partly an illusion because AVG 7.5 real-time scanner was "hidden" inside the Windows kernel),

Lack of choice of components to install and subsequent configurability,

Overall change of approach from light, fast, straightforward AVG 7.5, to cumbersome, slow, complicated & "dumbed-down" AVG 8.0,

Inclusion of  "Security (Yahoo) Toolbar",

High bandwidth consumption and lag of Link Scanner.

Now it's hard to know how generally representative these responses are. It could be that the "silent majority" of AVG 7.5 users are satisfied with the impact that new AVG 8.0 is having on their PC use. Part of the panic seems to be caused by AVG "publicity". Many users have reported warning message that AVG Free 7.5 support will cease on 31/05/2008 when in fact the correct date is 31/12/2008.

Funny thing is, the few people I know who have the retail version, AVG 8.0 Pro (or Internet Security) are happy with it. Mind you, all but one are commercial users whose employees have no say in the choice of AV, and all have relatively current PC hardware. They like the idea that it checks so many areas that "nothing" will get through because if something did it means downtime and expense because they can't deal with it themselves. This is what started me thinking a little philosophically about why people might be complaining so strongly about a free product!  :o

It seems to me that the components and configurability of AVG 8.0 Free have been decided based on the assumption that users of a free AV are not as discerning or are less-demanding in regard to security software than paid users, when I would argue than in many cases the opposite is true.

The key feature of AVG 7.5 that attracted discening users was its low system impact. That's gone in 8.0 and with it, the attraction for the PC enthusiast.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:28:25 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
It did seem to slow my computer down when I tried it out briefly.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Sesame

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
Now it's hard to know how generally representative these responses are. It could be that the "silent majority" of AVG 7.5 users are satisfied with the impact that new AVG 8.0 is having on their PC use. Part of the panic seems to be caused by AVG "publicity". Many users have reported warning message that AVG Free 7.5 support will cease on 31/05/2008 when in fact the correct date is 31/12/2008.

Funny thing is, the few people I know who have the retail version, AVG 8.0 Pro (or Internet Security) are happy with it. Mind you, all but one are commercial users whose employees have no say in the choice of AV, and all have relatively current PC hardware. They like the idea that it checks so many areas that "nothing" will get through because if something did it means downtime and expense because they can't deal with it themselves. This is what started me thinking a little philosophically about why people might be complaining so strongly about a free product!  :o

It seems to me that the components and configurability of AVG 8.0 Free have been decided based on the assumption that users of a free AV are not as discerning or are less-demanding in regard to security software than paid users, when I would argue than in many cases the opposite is true.
I haven't touched AVG applications at all since, for speed and lightness, I took AntiVir, instead.  I chose Avast for its high customizability.  I'd like Avast to keep this tradition of high customizability since it would enable Alwil team to keep good communication with more knowledgeable users while the result of the communication can benefit less knowledgeable users with more automated and user-friendly functions and, of course, legitimate cost.  The recent AVG update seems to have broken the community chain by paying their attention only to paid users.  I hope Alwil team wouldn't make such a blander with upcoming Avast 5.  Reading their responses, I think they understand the importance of the communication, though.

The key feature of AVG 7.5 that attracted discening users was its low system impact. That's gone in 8.0 and with it, the attraction for the PC enthusiast.
As for AVG 8 or other security apps getting bloatware, many functions almost inevitably leads to bloatware but, even this could be managed at least to some extent by giving the users to choose functions of their liking.

I wonder if AVG 8 can become commercially successful but I wouldn't like to see other security companies go after the same marketing strategy.

fidmas

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:46 PM »
Overall change of approach from light, fast, straightforward AVG 7.5, to cumbersome, slow, complicated & "dumbed-down" AVG 8.0,

Exactly.  Most of the complaints I'm getting are from Norton users.  Most are complaining that the new Norton has added 2 or more minutes to Boot-up time that was already excessively slow with the old Norton.  They all thought the only thing they could do though, was to pay the money and live with it.  A 2-3GHz machine just isn't enough anymore.  I was reccomending AVG.  At least one took my advice and now seems agitated.

From now on, I'm recomending avast! without the "Web Shield".  Spybot S&D Immunise seems to be more flexable and affective.  Any thoughts are welcome, since I have my wife and a friend configured that way, but don't use either myself.

/fidmas
----

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 02:18:27 PM »
Tech
None of AVG 8.0 Free features are timelimited in any way despite numerous rumours to contrary.
Is there a link for the differences between Pro and free versions?

High impact on PC speed, higher RAM footprint (which we know is partly an illusion because AVG 7.5 real-time scanner was "hidden" inside the Windows kernel),
We warned about this after Vlk had pointed it out... so, no news... for AVG users, a deception.

Lack of choice of components to install and subsequent configurability,
It was always worse than avast.

Inclusion of  "Security (Yahoo) Toolbar",
Bad movement imho.

High bandwidth consumption and lag of Link Scanner.
Eh, eh... becoming a bloatware ;D

based on the assumption that users of a free AV are not as discerning or are less-demanding in regard to security software than paid users, when I would argue than in many cases the opposite is true.
We think the same.

A see a movement toward avast ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »
From now on, I'm recomending avast! without the "Web Shield".
Why?

fidmas

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 02:55:02 PM »
Is there a link for the differences between Pro and free versions?

Sure: http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition 2nd and 3rd columns what you mean?

Sesame

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
Why?
I have the same question.  I let my family use Avast! and set Web Shield to silent mode, with which it automatically aborts connection when it finds suspicious files.  On the computer SpywareBlaster is installed, which works similarly to Spybot immunize function, without any conflict with Web Shield.  I don't see any reason for turning off Web Shield.

fidmas

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
Why?

Just that SpyBot Immunize seems quite nice on my wife's box, and SpyBot scans catch almost as much as AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 does.  I honestly haven't tried the avast! Web Shield yet.  Any arguments for or against either are welcome. :-)

/fidmas

Sesame

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 03:15:50 PM »
Just that SpyBot Immunize seems quite nice on my wife's box, and SpyBot scans catch almost as much as AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 does.  I honestly haven't tried the avast! Web Shield yet.  Any arguments for or against either are welcome. :-)
I guess I am for Web Shield since I can only think of resource problem or possible conflicts to turn off Web Shield.  What the reason for being against it, exactly?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »
Why?

/fidmas

I can't see why you recommend avast but advocate not using the web shield yet you haven't tried it ???

The web shield scan http traffic using a localhost proxy so can intercept malware at source before it gets on to your system, prevention is much better than cure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 03:26:37 PM »
Sure: http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition 2nd and 3rd columns what you mean?
AVG Free limitations
* Basic protection only (comprehensive protection is available with AVG Internet Security): I miss the antirootkit module.
* Limited languages (multiple languages are available with any paid product) avast doesn't ;D
* No technical support (available with any paid product) We're glad to have avast forums...

But also, scanning of downloads and IM providers.
Another reasons to keep avast ;)

Just that SpyBot Immunize seems quite nice on my wife's box, and SpyBot scans catch almost as much as AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 does.
I think immunization is a very limited security feature nowadays. I use it, but do not put all my confidence on it.

I honestly haven't tried the avast! Web Shield yet.
WebShield scans HTTP traffic. It's not immunization. It's direct and very effective protection.