Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - endless reboots  (Read 1806 times)

Rick F

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - endless reboots
« on: May 13, 2008, 03:37:46 PM »
This is off topic, but just a heads-up...

"Do you have HP computer with an AMD processor? If so, and you have Windows XP's Automatic Updates turned on, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise."

http://www.askwoody.com/newscomments.php?newsid=2087

I read about this on McAfee's forum where I use to be a mod (2 or 3 yrs ago).

There is a fix posted on Technet...
The following fix should work for any machine with an AMD Processor. If you have an AMD processor then there are a few easy steps that should correct the problem. The problem is that SP3 loads a file called intelppm.sys. This file is for use only for the Intel processors power management. This is a driver system file so it will not load when going into safe mode. When your computer reboots and is at the black screen hit the f8 key to get into the boot selection menu. Elect the Safe mode with networking option. When system boots up in safe mode. Perform the following run command.

select:

Start
Run
type in the command box:

sc config intelppm start= disabled

You should then be able to reboot normally.

At least one Microsoft MVP (Jesper Johansson) got hit with this problem. Link to Jesper's Blog
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:47:35 PM by Rick F »

drhayden1

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 - endless reboots
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »
one on my computers is a HP laptop with a AMD 64 bit processor and service pack 3 installed just fine with no problem what-so-ever--no reboots-no nothing-just working fine ;)