Author Topic: 4.8.1195 problem even with self-defense disabled  (Read 11068 times)

devilstrailboss

4.8.1195 problem even with self-defense disabled
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »
I definitely have a problem updating from 1169 to 1195. The update seems to go fine, but on the required reboot it hangs directly after entering the password. Four times in a row I resolved it by doing an XP system restore and trying again. After reading others were having trouble with Avast  after it was scanned by their other defences I tried the “disable the self-defense module” idea. That's made no difference, and once again I rolled back the update using a system restore. Avast has always played well on my machine, and outside this very specific problem everything else I have is running fine. Are there any other bits of Avast I need to knock out 'till it's fixed? Ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 4.8.1195 problem even with self-defense disabled
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:23 PM »
I would suggest a clean reinstall of 4.8.1195.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall the version you have, reboot, run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot, install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

devilstrailboss

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
DavidR, hola

Thanks for trying to help, I'd already downloaded those just in case it was a ye olde reinstall it situation, but when I posted here I was hoping that sniper from Avast might have a clue what is going on beyond just blast it with a shotgun.

As it stands that didn't work. Neither did doing the initial uninstall in safe mode in addition to that removal app in safe mode. Now I've arrived at a point that in one day I have rebooted my machine more than I've needed to all year. I'm no noob, and there is absolutely something wrong with 1195 . It is isolated and predictable, and it simply won't harmonize with other well established software. It's a shame because I've been singing the praises of Avast on PC Advisor since I migrated from AVG a couple of years back. As it stands, I've had to revert back to AVG, as despite it being an inferior product, at least it works. I shall keep an eye on here in hope that Avast will undo whatever they have done that is causing so many problems for other machines in addition to my own. Here's hopin', huh.

Thanks for trying.   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:41:36 PM »
Well I have been an ex AVG user and happy avast user sivce that time and I have never experienced any issue with an update and going too and from the beta to regular releases, perhaps I'm lucky ;D

If it is an issue with 4.8.1195 and 'not harmonising with other well established software' (which you don't mention) then I would expect to see it being reported in the forums.

The problem you mentioned was other applications not just scanning bt opening the avast files/registry entries with write permission. The difference here was in build 1192 I believe the fact was reported to the screen but the user had no action they could carry out like, ignore or allow, etc. it was just being reported as the self-defence module blocked the write access but allowed read access. In build 4.8.1195 it looks like they stopped the notification to the screen as it was just confusing the user.

The above issue I doubt would be the cause of what you are experiencing. The reason for the shotgun approach if the update fails it is often best to do a clean reinstall. The fact that a clean reinstall has failed would point to something possibly more serious which if snipping at it might have taken a great deal more time to arrive at were we are now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sonicman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:55:18 AM »
Hello All - I've just joined this forum - have a fairly new VISTA Dell laptop that I had been running AVG AV (free version) w/ Windows Defender behind a home Linksys router - pleased until AVG added spyware w/ a much larger download to its 8.0 version - decided to switch to Avast! about a week or so ago - installed the 4.8.1169 version which seemed to go fine -  :D

Today, received a notification that a 'new' version, i.e. *.1195 was available - seems to have caused some problems for others?   But, my question as a 'new user' of Avast! is whether one really needs to update these apparently 'minor' revisions - does it make a difference to wait for several new versions?  Not sure, but just asking for some advice & comments - thanks -  :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:18:44 AM »
The first avast 4.8 release (build 1169) had significant new changes in it. 

The avast team and the user community together have been learning to adjust to those new features and there are important adjustments to some of the new features (especially the new avast self protection feature).  The original 4.8 release (build 1169) also had a few minor issues that prolonged on demand scanning times. 

The new release 4.8.1195 has addressed a number of these issues.  I have no hesitation in recommending this new release to the folks I support as an improvement over 4.8.1169.  I doubt the avast team will like this characterization but let me suggest  4.8.1169 was "4.8 - The trial run" and 4.8.1195 is "4.8 - What we have learned".       

Sonicman

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:53:52 AM »
The first avast 4.8 release (build 1169) had significant new changes in it......................The new release 4.8.1195 has addressed a number of these issues.  I have no hesitation in recommending this new release to the folks I support as an improvement over 4.8.1169........    

Alanrf - thanks for your quick response & comments - however, I read about a number of problems in doing this update (or upgrade?) - one user had to use the removal tool & perform a complete re-install w/ several re-boots - I would think that a simple sub-version update would re-install over the older program w/o any major problem - may not be true?  I'll need to explore this site more & the Avast! program before deciding on 'how often' these updates/upgrades are needed - don't really want to get into a 'monthly' or so issue here or I'll likely search for another AV option?  :(

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:09:08 AM »
Always your system and your choice ...

avast has never indulged in "monthly" updates since I have been user.

As to problems ...  "one swallow does not a summer make" ... more than 50 million users have downloaded avast ... not all of them them stayed with it ... but there are millions of avast users not clamoring in this forum to report problems. 

I can only report (with any honesty) on my experience and on the experience of the folks I support.  That is why I participate in the beta testing programs of avast.  If you care to browse these forums and my posts you will find me not entirely uncritical of the product. 

You can also find my posts still used to help others in the AVG forum (from my days in trying to decide which product my folks should use).  I decided then on balance to go with avast ... I do not regret the choice I made.  I remain just a user of avast but my advice to any who might come upon this thread is to take the clear improvement of avast 4.8.1195 over avast 4.8.1169 and with both hands.       

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:22:35 AM »
Hi Sonicman

alanrf's experience is consistent with my own. I have upgraded a number of XP machines from betas 1187 & 1192 to release 1195 since yesterday with no problems. However, I would also say that if 1169 is working fine for you and you can live with disabling self-defense if you need to do system restore, then its not necessary to upgrade from 1169 at the moment.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:17 AM »
I would simply let the team speak for itself in the changes from 1169 to 1195:

Please see the Revision History.  This is very far from a minor point release.

Sonicman

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 04:46:28 AM »
Thanks Guys!  :D

I decided to do the *.1195 update - seemed to do fine after the re-boot - just decided to make my AV switch when Avast! was about to update also! Oh well, I'm quite pleased w/ this forum (similar software to one used on a 'classical music' forum that I frequent - nice to see the same options!) - will likely be back w/ more questions - thanks again for the support!   :)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 04:54:57 AM »
Just one other point that keeps me here and while maybe not unique is an outstanding plus for this forum ...

Here you will find the developers of avast participating directly with the user community. Look for "avast team member" as well as "forum moderator" (the moderators are avast developers).     

Sammo

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:50 AM »
I definitely have a problem updating from 1169 to 1195. The update seems to go fine, but on the required reboot it hangs directly after entering the password. Four times in a row I resolved it by doing an XP system restore and trying again. After reading others were having trouble with Avast  after it was scanned by their other defences I tried the “disable the self-defense module” idea. That's made no difference, and once again I rolled back the update using a system restore. Avast has always played well on my machine, and outside this very specific problem everything else I have is running fine. Are there any other bits of Avast I need to knock out 'till it's fixed? Ideas?
I had similar problems after installing the latest ZoneAlarm. I uninstalled ZA and re-installed Comodo and everything is OK again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 01:59:47 PM »
Thanks Guys!  :D

I decided to do the *.1195 update - seemed to do fine after the re-boot - just decided to make my AV switch when Avast! was about to update also! Oh well, I'm quite pleased w/ this forum (similar software to one used on a 'classical music' forum that I frequent - nice to see the same options!) - will likely be back w/ more questions - thanks again for the support!   :)

I don't think you will regret your decision as an ex avg now happy avast user who hasn't looked back.

One other good thing about avast is the update process not only are you not restricted to one update a day, the virus signature updates (VPS) are incremental and don't take very long and the update servers are numerous and reliable. The same is true of the program updates, incremental and unlike many other applications you don't have to do a reinstall.

Yes like everything in life times you might get a hiccup and experience a problem, but they are few and far between and you know where we are for help.

Welcome to the forums.

devilstrailboss

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »
I've just replicated exactly the same symptom with the fail after entering the password on the required reboot after engaging the 1195 update. That was on a different machine using a different firewall, so that knocks out the Zone Alarm suit and Comodo. Common to both machines are:

1]SSM
2]Spyware Terminator
3]Threatfire

Come on Avast developers. AVG sux and I want to switch back ;-)