Author Topic: 4.8.1195 problem even with self-defense disabled  (Read 11067 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: 4.8.1195 problem even with self-defense disabled
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 02:55:32 PM »
It's a conflict with SSM.
We're currently investigating the issue (we have it simulated on one of our test machines).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 03:00:54 PM »
Aren't SSM and Threatfire doing similar tasks, excuse my ignorance I don't use either. There have been some posts in the forums relating to problems with avast and threatfire (try a forum search and see if any correspond), you could try temp disabling or uninstall threatfire and see if the conflict/harmonize issues go away.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

devilstrailboss

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »
Vlk, hola

Simulation – 'nuff said.

Good work amigo.

Cheers..

devilstrailboss

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
DavidR, hi

Not so sure. I've only been playing around with Threatfire for about a week, and only then 'cos it got some positive reviews. I have it running in three different environments to see how well it stacks against SSM, Process Guard, aspects of Spyware Terminator, blah blah. At the moment I'm minded that the lack of sophistication in the controls is going to get it dumped. Plus it wants to phone home despite setting it not to, and that's a sacking offence right there.

Regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 03:50:48 PM »
Yes there have been some positive reviews but some negative comments on this forum and as you say if it is constantly phoning home, you have to wonder why. Generally there is a rule of thumb of not having two resident applications that do the same tasks, mostly this was about AV or anti-spyware applications, but we are starting to see similar issues with HIPs based/add-on applications.

I was typing my reply (slowly) as Vlk posted so it is good the see that they seem to have identified (at least being able to simulate it) a conflict with SSM, hopefully it won't take long to resolve, fingers crossed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sammo

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
I've just replicated exactly the same symptom with the fail after entering the password on the required reboot after engaging the 1195 update. That was on a different machine using a different firewall, so that knocks out the Zone Alarm suit and Comodo. Common to both machines are:

1]SSM
2]Spyware Terminator
3]Threatfire

Come on Avast developers. AVG sux and I want to switch back ;-)
I had used ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware. Could there be a conflict with the anti-spyware elements of other programs and the latest Avast?

Firebytes

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »
~snip~ Plus it wants to phone home despite setting it not to, and that's a sacking offence right there.

According to Djames, the moderator at the Threatfire forum, if all the settings in TF are set not to allow TF to contact TF servers, the TF tray app may still occasionally check to be sure internet access is available if needed by attempting to contact a MS site (not TF). Why it wants to do this I don't know, hopefully they will do away with any outbounds at all when a user sets the program up as such. Until then, I just block any outbounds with my firewall until I choose to update. I don't believe the outbound is anything malicious but you could always check the destination, contents, etc., of the outbound and see for yourself.

devilstrailboss

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »
Mmm, itself that isn't a problem, I started banishing every M$ range I could find from my machines a good long while ago. It's just as matter of principle and for the sake of practicing safe HEX, it's rude and it's wrong.

devilstrailboss

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 05:47:01 PM »
~snip~ Plus it wants to phone home despite setting it not to, and that's a sacking offence right there.

According to Djames, the moderator at the Threatfire forum, if all the settings in TF are set not to allow TF to contact TF servers, the TF tray app may still occasionally check to be sure internet access is available if needed by attempting to contact a MS site (not TF). Why it wants to do this I don't know, hopefully they will do away with any outbounds at all when a user sets the program up as such. Until then, I just block any outbounds with my firewall until I choose to update. I don't believe the outbound is anything malicious but you could always check the destination, contents, etc., of the outbound and see for yourself.

Dunno dude. Vlk said he can simulate the problem. Once you can reliably replicate it most of the battle is won. At the moment I'm fairly confident Avast will fix the way their product interacts with SSM pretty soon. They've a good record so far. 

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
Yep, the problem has already been identified. It is taking place because SSM tries to somehow protect its own process (SysSafe.exe), and the way it does it causes our driver aswSP.sys to do something stupid. ::)

I have a test version of the driver that solves the problem.
However, I'm not quite sure whether this specific problem will justify a whole new (immediate) program update (frankly, I think not).

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »
Maybe you could pin this thread and publish a way to patch the driver, so users with problems can do the update.
The best things in life are free.

jack_90125

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:23 PM »
yep same issue.went down to 4.7 and was fine till it got the latest virus defs and it had to reboot and which just desktop wallpaper after logging in.so used the util to remove and now no antivirus till something gets fixed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »
yep same issue.went down to 4.7 and was fine till it got the latest virus defs and it had to reboot and which just desktop wallpaper after logging in.so used the util to remove and now no antivirus till something gets fixed.
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

jack_90125

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
yep same problem. going to try previous version now and see what it does.it should work as no problems ever and been using avast for years and years.

devilstrailboss

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27:16 AM »
Vlk, hi

1201 resolves this problem on my machines.

Many thanks amigo.