Author Topic: please help,,,, i want to know how good this forum is,,,,,is t ?  (Read 9275 times)

kissbaby

i want to try out your antivirus program ,,but first,,i need to know,,,,please read.

-----------------------------------------------
OK,,, as of this moment I'm using avg free7.5 (  http://free.grisoft.com/ )

every one who has updated to avg free 8.0.100 cant hardly get any help because the antirus program is a free version,,i mean this forum ,,, http://freeforum.avg.com/   sound kinda arrogant . i figure they would try and help so they know what to fix in there next version of avg free.
not only that they delete most of the complaint on there forum instead of taking notes.
-------------------------

are you this way ?, or are you good at what you do and help the users out rather or not if it its a free antivirus program or not?.
----------------------------------------
just asking because they say we have till the end of this month (5-31-2008) to upgrade to the next avg free 8.0.100.
i don't like how they are treating there users.
-------------------------------------------------------

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: please help,,,, i want to know how good this forum is,,,,,is t ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
You only need browse the avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum to see that free or paid there is equal support on these forums as many of those helping are Home version users.

See, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35453.0 another avg user.

I would say the majority of the posts on the forum are from users of the Home version and you need only look at the Forum title that this post should have been in ;D "avast! 4.x Home/Pro" http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0.

Hopefully one of the moderators will move it there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kissbaby

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:16 AM »
 ;D wow,, " DavidR" .

the support forum here seems to be very kind to its users  ;D .

OK,,,, almost ready to download your product.

just one more question and it might sound stupid but my past experience show that this is a good question.

OK ,,,here goes.
with avg free 7.5 it trys to clean the file first then if it cant it moves it to the virus vault.
 does AVAST try to clean it first ?,,before it moves it to the vault ?.

i use firefox browser (the newest version),,will it work with this browser?

OK here are my PC spects "DavidR" in case u want to say something before i install "Avast home" for the first time,,,i already know i need to un-install my old antivirus.

----------
i have

windows xp home with SP3 (used to have it with SP2,,not not more)
all the newest updates,,,up to date

internet explorer 7.0 (newest)
firefox 2.0.0.14

avg free 7.5
spyware blaster (newest)
spybot search an distroy (newest)
ad-aware "2007" (newest)

well anything before i give this a try ?.
---------
almost ready to bite ,,,yummmmmm.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
The avast free version when it finds a virus it pops-up an alert and sounds an alarm (e.g. all hell breaks loose) on that pop-up are a number of options and the recommended on is usually highlighted 'in focus' options that aren't available are greyed out (see image). Repair will be frequently greyed out as there are very few infected files that can be repaired, see below.

Trojans generally can't be repaired (either by the VRDB or avast virus cleaner), because the entire content of the file is malware, so it is either move to chest or delete, move to the chest being the best option (first do no harm). When a file is in the chest it can't do any harm and you can investigate the infected warning.

The VRDB only protects certain files, mainly .exe files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.

Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.

However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.

The best option is 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

I use firefox and no problems with avast and its web shield provider, avast supports a large number of browsers it is only the lessor more obscure/exotic browsers that aren't supported and that can be resolved too if required.

You shouldn't have an issues with the software you have, as you said you will uninstall avg before installation, leave it enabled until you have downloaded avast and saved it to your HDD and gone off-line.

Both Spybot and adaware (paid version) have startup monitoring:
TeaTimer in S&D if you don't use that no problem, if you do it might alert on the ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the on-access scanners and program settings) as that is a startup item, allow it.
AdAware has AdWatch but only in the paid version, so the same would apply to it.

AdAware though is really not very good now and there are many better options, I would suggest you uninstall it and select SAS as another on-demand anti-spyware tool its detections and clean-up are far superior to adaware and S&D but S&D is still reasonable in its latest version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kissbaby

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »
this is too " DavidR "

OK,,,now another question,,, does this "sas" program have a link ,,i cant find it anywhere to read up on it.

looks like avast is now on my list of too do's,,,wink.

but I'm going to wait till 5.31-08 and then install it ,, I'm never in a rush, plus i see that other are having problems with it ,,don't worry though ,,i am going to try it ,,promise !,,

i want to read up on any work arounds and take notes in case i encounter the same things,,i always do it this way,,i did it with this avg free 7.5 when i first tried it ,,all programs have a glitch or 2 at first,,,,

the only reason i tried avg free in the first place is because my nephew used it for years and my norton was acting up and getting costly.

I'm download avast NOW as i type,,

patience always pays off.

i want to thank you " DavidR " for all the help "

because of u i'm giving this a try

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
It does and my use of an abbreviation didn't make life any easier for you, SuperAntiSpyware.

http://www.superantispyware.com, you want the free option not the paid for option, although if you want resident protection with auto updates, etc. then it would be the paid for option. I personally don't feel the need for a resident anti-spyware.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:37:32 PM by DavidR »

kissbaby

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:58 PM »
thank you for the link.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

looking at it now,, some times the spyware is worse the the virus.

i once got the rapid blaster bug,, i had to go into the registry and remove this thing called i.s.t. bar or ist bar and use spybot and ad-aware to remove it ,, the ist thing would re-install the rapid blaster thing( its a bad dialer,,very sneeky).

doesn't hurt to have one more and it says i can have it along with my other spyware remover's,
i dont know what saved my pc more,,all the anti-spyware programs or the anti-virus,,,lol,,,

i tried lots a cool protection stuff in my windows 98 days,,,, the rapid blaster likes windows 98 and 2000.

got that bug when i installed a freeware game called "duck shoot" for windows , but that was years ago ,,i'm much careful now,,i was just learning,,still am

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:49:30 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

You can have to much of a good thing, the main thing is not to have two resident scanners for the same category of application like 1 resident AV, only 1 resident anti-spyware, only one firewall, etc. But on-demand scanners generally don't present a problem as they aren't running in the background, only when you run them. Of course the more you have the more you have to keep up to date.

Welcome to the forums.

Laverne

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
I just wanted to comment on the original question -- about how good this forum is for Avast Home free version.

This is the A1 TOTALLY BEST forum I have ever had the pleasure of encountering.  I can't rate it high enough. 

The questions are answered promptly and the information is so clear, even for newbies.  And those who reply do so with patience and professionalism.  Thanks for the greatest forum ever.

Laverne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »
I just wanted to comment on the original question -- about how good this forum is for Avast Home free version.

This is the A1 TOTALLY BEST forum I have ever had the pleasure of encountering.  I can't rate it high enough. 

The questions are answered promptly and the information is so clear, even for newbies.  And those who reply do so with patience and professionalism.  Thanks for the greatest forum ever.

Laverne
You've discovered the paradise ;)
Welcome!
The best things in life are free.

meeleend

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:20:24 PM »
I have one question that,
Is avast successfully running on Ubuntu?