Author Topic: Making Avast Use Less Resources  (Read 14924 times)

Drazick

Making Avast Use Less Resources
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Hello.
What can I do in order to make Avast use as low as possible resources?
Is there any chance for a "Light Version"?

The latest versions became very resource hungry.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Making Avast Use Less Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »
Hmmm... I see no movement on resources consumption from 4.7 to 4.8... on contrary.
Do you use P2P or IM applications? You can disable that providers if you don't have any.
Also, which email application do you use?

Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity level? High or Normal?
Which other resident programs are you running?
The best things in life are free.

Drazick

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
I use only 1 provider (Didn't install any other but the On-Access).

I'm on Vista.

I have the impression Avast got bigger and bigger.
It used to be small with a small memory footprint.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
I use only 1 provider (Didn't install any other but the On-Access).
I'm on Vista.
I won't uninstall NetShield and WebShield, neither the email providers... don't you use any email program?

I have the impression Avast got bigger and bigger.
It used to be small with a small memory footprint.
I don't think so... Vista is what is taking much more resources than XP...
Which is your Standard Shield sensitivity level?

Drazick

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
Normal.
Everything in its default setting.

No email (Using Web Based Only).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 03:38:44 PM »
You use the terms, seemed and got the impression, you have to be more specific about what it uses on your system before and after as there is nothing to compare against.

Yes avast uses some more resources in this 4.8 version than it did in the 4.7 version, but it is still light in comparison to many other AVs and in the greater scheme of things resources (I assume you mean RAM) as a percentage of your system RAM is minuscule.

Though you don't give us any information on your system and the possible impact on your resources, CPU, RAM, other applications and Security applications running, etc. Hell I look at Task Manager not the best to gage actual memory use and firefox uses more memory than all of avast combined so does Windows Explorer, so does my Firewall.

So we need to get things in perspective, resources are there to be used and if necessary managed. But given the improvements in avast 4.8 and a slight increase in resources I see no appreciable difference in my system responsiveness and I have no speed machine.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Drazick

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
It's not a night and day difference.
Yet I want to use it in a configuration which consumes the least resources possible.

Maybe Avast is lighter than some others, yet it's not as light as I would like it to be.
To this matter, NOD is much lighter.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 04:00:21 PM »
Not lighter on your wallet though ;D

I have never used Nod so can't comment on the resource use. There are tricks that can be used to make things look like they are light on resources. AVG up to v8.0 used to run some of its processes inside the windows kernel and they don't show up as AVG on any check on Task Manager. So I also don't know at what levels Nod operates, so again can do no direct comparison.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
It's not a night and day difference.
Yes, I agree. The new 4.8.1195 (with default settings) grabbed 20 Mb of RAM more than the previous build.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »
it may seems to eat more because of the background rootkit scan after system loads up ...

what about after some time when it's done ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
Maybe Avast is lighter than some others, yet it's not as light as I would like it to be.
We always wish this: best protection with no resources usage ::)

To this matter, NOD is much lighter.
A little difference: it's not free ;)

stevey

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
yeah my pf usage has gone up about 20mb.  :-\

something else i noticed after installing (4.8.1195) is that the P2P Shield has changed to custom all by itself... (shouldn't it be set to normal?).

and these:

uTorrent
Azureus Vuze
Qtraz

are all unticked... is this normal?

LorenzoC

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
I give you my (limited) experience:
Since I am low on hardware, I use AVAST with the "standard shield" and "internet mail" providers only.
I never understood well the effectiveness of the "overlapping" protection given by the whole suite of "providers".

Right now, after a whole day of computer work, I get about 15M of "standard" memory usage AND about the same of "virtual" memory usage. Somebody told me the "standard" memory can be re-used by other applications while the "virtual" memory is reserved by the application and not released. So for example if a softare uses 8M of standard memory and 60M of virtual memory (this was my AVIRA mem usage) it means 60M is the actual quantity not available for other applications. Then, if this is correct, it is much better have a low virtual memory.

Plus AVAST is quite complete (mail, rootkits, spyware + usual threats).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »
something else i noticed after installing (4.8.1195) is that the P2P Shield has changed to custom all by itself... (shouldn't it be set to normal?).
<snip and formatted, space consideration>
and these:
uTorrent - Azureus Vuze - Qtraz - are all unticked... is this normal?

The last two are newly supported applications, but by default are unchecked. The uTorrent, it was decided because of the way it worked creating hundreds (or more) small files which effectively increased the avast scanning and put a strain on the users system (higher CPU activity). That it why it was unchecked bu default, what is strange is these although default settings appear to change the sensitivity to Custom.

The fact it is at custom I don't believe adds to the sensitivity, etc as there is no difference like there is if you changed the Standard Shield or Web Shield sensitivity which changes what is actually scanned.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 10:01:52 PM »
I never understood well the effectiveness of the "overlapping" protection given by the whole suite of "providers".
They're not overlapping at the default settings. Use Standard Shield at Normal sensitivity and keep the other providers to protect specific issues in the computer. avast is not a suite.