Author Topic: Vista is green and has bugs...  (Read 11696 times)

justin1278

Re: Vista is green and has bugs...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 03:41:46 AM »
Vista hasn't given me many problems, the only problems I had were due to my Nvidia drivers being crap, but they are much better now and so far no problems for several months.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 04:13:40 AM »
The idiots part was for, well the idiots, not you directly. Where you want to be is up to you :P
As for the BMW/Michelin analogy, you missed the exact point with your comparison. If you want engine analogy, there are also parts in BMW engines not developed or assembled by BMW like for example BOSCH pumps, Philips electronics etc. If any of those fails, it's not exactly BMW's fault...
Microsoft is pushing PC's and they do make Windows OS. But they DO NOT make hardware and they DO NOT provide drivers for it. So when some device fails (which is not from Microsoft) it's that exact hardware piece vendor to blame first. When that gets sorted out (if at all) you move on to OS vendor. But ppl do the opposite.
Blame Microsoft for everything even if a giant red popup is flashing the message "NVIDIA GRAPHIC DRIVER FAILED <INSERT_SOME_ERROR> OMG OMG OMG!!!1111ONEONEONE. Isn't that just plain dumb?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 10:40:26 AM »
@Sash how can you be so certain the drivers on your rig work perfectly ? You reverse engineered them ? C'mon man, poor drivers don't necesserily mean that everything breaks and you get a million errors, they can appear to be working perfectly BUT STILL DELIVER POOR PERFORMANCE.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »
The idiots part was for, well the idiots, not you directly. Where you want to be is up to you :P

Where I want to be ? Don't you think you should tell me this ?

...As for the BMW/Michelin analogy, you missed the exact point with your comparison. If you want engine analogy, there are also parts in BMW engines not developed or assembled by BMW like for example BOSCH pumps, Philips electronics etc. If any of those fails, it's not exactly BMW's fault...

Really, too deep into car industry... maybe that's why I don't drive BMW, I went with Dodge.

...Microsoft is pushing PC's and they do make Windows OS. But they DO NOT make hardware and they DO NOT provide drivers for it. So when some device fails (which is not from Microsoft) it's that exact hardware piece vendor to blame first. When that gets sorted out (if at all) you move on to OS vendor. But ppl do the opposite.
Blame Microsoft for everything even if a giant red popup is flashing the message "NVIDIA GRAPHIC DRIVER FAILED <INSERT_SOME_ERROR> OMG OMG OMG!!!1111ONEONEONE. Isn't that just plain dumb?

Plain dumb is mentioning this only... giant red pop-up was never mentioned by me, nor I ever experienced it, so really there is not a single reason for bringing this up. You just want to show off your teeth when people are talking or better say trashing this OS. I paid a significant amount of money for it, even more than it is worth, I believe I have all rights to complain if something that should work, DOES NOT work properly.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
@Sash how can you be so certain the drivers on your rig work perfectly ? You reverse engineered them ? C'mon man, poor drivers don't necesserily mean that everything breaks and you get a million errors, they can appear to be working perfectly BUT STILL DELIVER POOR PERFORMANCE.

Ganging up on me Miha ? I am not sure what is the point of this... what is your suggestion in this case ? To develop my own drivers, is that what you say ? How can you look for something that does not even exist. If I have drivers that are signed by Microsoft itself what is the problem then ? Have you ever heard that you can, but it is highly advisable not to install drivers not signed by MS ? Well, I have to all signed here, so there really should be no trouble with them... searching for some extra-terrestrial ones just to make this OS run is nonsense. I switched from Tiger to Leopard, got so many good things and I never got any trouble with anything. It was flawless. This is pointless, there will always be some people defending it and some attacking it. I am not anyone's fanboy, I have both systems at home so I can be and I sure am as objective as possible. I did not switch to Mac ditching my PC completely, OK almost, but I still have it and use it so I really have no reason to feel like I am on "the other side". I'm just noticing the goods in one and the bads in another one.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »
Well i can certainly imagine how i would feel, paying for an OS and it wouldn't work . But Sash my friend when you said SP1 didn't fix a snigle thing you could have said it didn't fix anything FOR YOU not that it doesn't work in general. As you can read from other posters here, SP1 certainly did something for us. I'm not saying Vista is perfect(it certainly has it's faults) but all i am saying that it works very well on my machine. It's sad that it doesn't work for you my friend and if i could i would help you get it running, i do understand you don't have time for wasting on this . And as you say Mac works perfectly for you and you are really satisfied with it, it does everything you need it to do so maybe really the best thing for you is completely switching over to Mac's . BTW can you get a refund from MS ?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
You beat me by a few minutes with your reply(was just writting the above one) so here's my answer:

I am not ganging up on anybody i am just expressing my opinion. That is all.

All the drivers i have installed on my rig when i put on Vista for the first time WERE signed by MS and guess what ? They were buggy as hell, i believe i told you of all the problems i had with my sound card's drivers and they were signed by MS since day 1. Same goes for the graphics card, signed by MS and i had poor performance in 3d apps not to mention some of my games did not work at all. Get the picture ? Just because MS signed on that doesn't mean it actually works like it should. Bad MS !

Now though with all the latest drivers the performance and stability is here and every single game i have installed here runs STABLE and FAST. Much better framerates and IQ than i had before.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 01:56:49 PM »
... BTW can you get a refund from MS ?

I don't think you can... but that wasn't my intention anyway. All I wanted is this OS to work fine. I just like you and many others, was waiting for Vista like crazy with high expectations. I am not sure if you ever saw the latest Longhorn previews (video files). It is just said how many things is thrown out when Vista came out. They trimmed it so bad it is indescribable. I am thinking that in doing that, they also messed it up so bad. Anyway, Bob mentioned so many times that I am the one who is blaming Vista now and I was the one who praised it in the past... that is not true... I was the one who had pretty high expectations and when I got nothing but problems, of course I should feel bad. All I wanted and I still want is to have these OSes to work fine. Having all three of them, I've learned to respect each OS for its good things and fear of its bad things... but unfortunately Vista is at the bottom of my list right now.

Edit: Just because I bought an Apple, does not make me an Apple fanboy like many would like to think... it is just I'm really enjoying this machine and of course OS that comes with it. BTW, my friend at work runs Vista natively on his iMac (BootCamp), not like simulation, not like emulation... real thing, natively. It runs so fast that I am really ashamed to compare it to my laptop's Vista (while it was still running it). He is not having a slightest issue with drivers or anything for that matter... he even runs some latest Vista games without a single problem.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:01:22 PM by n00b t00 »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »
And i believe you when you say Mac is perfect for you. I know that the vast majority of graphic designers use it and adore it and wouldn't dream of switching to another OS. However is it so hard to believe that some of us NON GRAPHICS people are enjoying the Vista experience and that it runs well for us ?

I would love to have a Mac machine, unfortunately though and this has been said many many times Mac's are too expensive for alot of us. And should i mention gaming here ? These 2 obstacles are preventing me from using/buying a Mac machine.

P.S: Why don't you give BootCamp a go ? Perhaps it will run better on the Mac just like it does for your friend, just an idea.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 02:35:07 PM »
Well, MacBooks are no different than ordinary laptops, Intel CPU, RAM, integrated Intel Extreme Graphics X3100 etc, only thing that separates them now is MacOS and visual design.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »
Yes but it's still different hardware than he has on his regular laptop so it may be interesting to test it on a different config(like his mac desktop or laptop). See if it runs so slow on those aswell.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
I would love to have a Mac machine, unfortunately though and this has been said many many times Mac's are too expensive for alot of us. And should i mention gaming here ? These 2 obstacles are preventing me from using/buying a Mac machine.

Too expensive may be the good reason I believe you... that's exactly the reason why I waited so long, but at the end I saved it and I bought it. I could do it like many others, credit cards and s**t, but that's not how we (my wife and I) do things in here. I waited few months, putting money aside just for this beast, and paid for it with cash. No interest no additional money, the price at Apple store was the price I paid for it.

The other thing you mentioned... gaming... this is not an obstacle as you mentioned in your post. I already mentioned here that my friend runs not XP, but Vista and he runs all new games without a single problem. They run as fast if not faster as on any other PC out there. He uses Mac and OS X for his work and everything productive he does, and then he switches to PC/Vista for games only. No need to have bunch of hardware on his desk, instead he went with just one iMac.

EDIT: BTW, my friend has iMac just like I do, not a MacBook  ;)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »
P.S: Why don't you give BootCamp a go ? Perhaps it will run better on the Mac just like it does for your friend, just an idea.

I can not do that since Vista Home Premium I paid for is just for this Acer laptop. It can not be installed on any other hardware. Not just that license key would not work, but it would be totally impossible to install it in the first place.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »
I see, i thought you had the retail version ...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 07:21:44 PM »
Well, i highly doubt that same Core2Duo CPU, same amount of RAM and similar HDD in another laptop would work any worse than on MacBook using same OS. Same hardware can't magically be faster...