Author Topic: Avast Home settings  (Read 5583 times)

Tsimmes

Avast Home settings
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:30:05 AM »
Downloaded and installed the latest version (4.8.1201) via the internal updater and noticed that the Resident Protection was set by default to Custom not Standard. Any hints as to what this means? I changed the setting to Standard--is this right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Home settings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 04:48:13 AM »
It won't harm... the custom level could be anything you've changed from the default settings.
It's not necessarily less protection, it could be even more. It depends.
But avast shouldn't have changed the security level by itself ???
The best things in life are free.

Tsimmes

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:15:13 PM »
I've had to change it from Custom to Standard twice--I've never used any customized settings since I first installed the program a couple of months ago. So standard is the "correct" setting for default usage?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:17:59 PM »
The resident protection has Normal, High and Custom, but no Standard sensitivity setting. The on-demand scanner (run from the simple user interface has Quick, Standard and Custom. So where are you setting this what you are calling Standard sensitivity ?

Normal is the default setting for all on-access (resident) providers.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

littlebit1

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 04:34:04 AM »
Actually this happened to me as well...but when I updated to 1195. I changed it back to standard and it hasn't changed since. I have now updated to 1201 and it has stayed at default settings.
 Liz

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »
littlebit1,

sorry to be picky ... but sometimes correct terms can be important here.

DavidR just mentioned that in the Resident Protection there is no such choice as "Standard" and you respond that you:

changed it back to standard

What precisely was it in avast that you changed back to "standard"?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:17:33 AM by alanrf »

littlebit1

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »
On your desktop..open the program..on the top you will see "current version of data base" beneath that you will see "resident protection" right now mine says "standard" after the update of said program 1195..it said "custom" I changed it back to "standard". For the record I updated to 1201 and the "standard" setting is still present. Hope this helps
Liz

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »
littlebit1,

many thanks for your clarification.  Now I see.

I think we need guidance from the avast team ....

Please help us understand why does my (or even our) Resident Protection in the SUI say "Custom" when the Standard Shield of avast says "Normal".

Further ... why is there this confusing use of terms in the two displays? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:40:03 PM »
@ littlebit1 & Tsimmes
The on-access providers and their individual settings can be accessed by either left clicking the avast ' a ' icon or right click and select On-Access Protection Control. From here you can select the Standard Shield (or any other individual provider) and change the sensitivity setting, to Normal (the default) or High, changing to Custom requires that other changes are made using the Customize... button for that to stick. So essentially you have Normal or High.

@ Alan
You have my vote in standardisation (excuse the pun) of the sensitivity levels in both SUI and on-access settings. If Quick becomes Normal and Standard became High Custom remains the same, it to a point would remove some confusion. However, when a user talks about Standard sensitivity I effectively know they are in the SUI, which adds another step in finding where they are.

I have no idea why the Custom setting in Resident scanner is there when like you I have the Standard Shield on Normal, but the confusion arises as avast uses a term 'Standard' which doesn't exist in the resident scanner if you move the slider back.

I have also 'just' noticed what might be a minor change in 4.8 the default sensitivity level in the Standard Shield, is different to the other options, not Bold and has a | pipe | either side of it. Whilst this would differentiate it I can't see anywhere where it says this indicates a default value.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:45:01 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

littlebit1

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 04:20:42 PM »
Yes I get the right click option on the "a" down by the clock on the right hand side of your screen. I always knew it was there, and I am aware of settings there. Have you gone to your desktop and opened Avast! from there..you will probably see what we are talking about. I just changed it back to standard...If you click the "a" on the left hand side just below the picture of the "chest" a slider option will pop up and from there you can set the setting from standard...to high...then on to custom. I just figured "standard" is where it should be.  8)
Liz

Tsimmes

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
littlebit1,

sorry to be picky ... but sometimes correct terms can be important here.

DavidR just mentioned that in the Resident Protection there is no such choice as "Standard" and you respond that you:

changed it back to standard

What precisely was it in avast that you changed back to "standard"?

Resident Protection settings offer the choice of Disabled, Standard, or High. I keep mine at Standard. When I installed the latest version, the Standard Shield that I had set to Normal on the previous version had been reset by the program to Custom even though I had never customized those settings since installing the program a couple of months ago. So I reset the Standard Shield to Normal and hopefully this is correct and that it will stay this way. Hope this clarifies my original query.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
David,

here is my Standard Shield:

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:53:30 PM »
Yes, I haven't got a clue what was going on as mine has now reverted to what it was before, the same as your image. Go figure, bah computers.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
bah computers
They're more logical than the human female and they forget everything when you remove its power ;D