Author Topic: Popup to restart computer  (Read 17764 times)

Frank1

Popup to restart computer
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »
I installed Avast 4.8 a couple of weeks ago and worked fine. A couple of days ago I started to receive a popup from Avast to restart windows. The trouble is that after restarting and booting process is complete, in another minute the popup appears again. This happens each time I reboot.
I am running Windows XP  Pro SP2, Avast 4.8 with 1195 program.
Any ideas what could cause this?
Frank1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Popup to restart computer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:38:49 AM »
Operating system restart needed by avast message - First check the contents of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log file, which should show you why it thinks the reboot is needed.
This may be solved, in some systems, by deleting the file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\reboot.txt. With the avast self-defence module it will complain so disable that first, Program Settings, Troubleshooting.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Frank1

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 02:59:23 AM »
Thank you DavidR for your suggestions.
I am not at that computer now. I will check it out in about 7 hours from now and get back with the result.
Thanks
Frank1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:03:57 AM »
You're welcome, that's me for the night, just after 2 a.m here and my bed is calling.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Frank1

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
I removed the reboot.txt file and rebooted. The popup to restart windows appeared again. The reboot.txt file returned. I am unable to keep it deleted.

I got desperate and tried to do arepair via the Add or Remove Programs. Still the same. Then I thought I should uninstall Avast and reinstall.

The only way I see that it can be uninstalled is by using the Add or Remove Programs and selecting the Uninstall option. The only problem is that when I press the Next button, the uninstall window disappears and nothing.

So I think I have bigger problems that the popup appearing. How do I Uninstall so that I can start from scratch?
Frank1

rassel

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:02:08 AM »
Download this program>>aswclear.exe and run it.This will completely uninstall avast. After that reinstall avast.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:03:50 AM by rassel »

Frank1

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Thanks Rassel. I went to the website to download the file. The instructions state that first I need to reboot into Safe Mode.
I have another problem - I am unable to boot successfully into Safe Mode. Keeps reseting and rebooting before the boot is complete. There is popup in the window before each reset, but it's there for too short a time for me to read what it says.

Should the aswclear.exe work in fully booted mode into admin mode?
If not, would it help to boot onto a CD I have (ReatoGo - Bart PE) which has access to the file system and operates as a slow Windows XP. Could I then launch the aswclear.exe and have it remove Avast?
Thanks
Frank1

rassel

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »
I am unable to boot successfully into Safe Mode. Keeps reseting and rebooting before the boot is complete.
What about start the window normally and run the program normally?

Frank1

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
Had to disable the self-defense module, then went o/k.
Reinstalled Avast. Hope it will work now.
I'll wait and see.
Thanks Rassel
Frank1

rassel

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »
Welcome and good luck to you. Avast!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Had to disable the self-defense module, then went o/k.
Reinstalled Avast. Hope it will work now.
<snip>

The aswClear.exe should tell you to disable the self-defence (which I would have though you and turned off for the removal of reboot.txt) otherwise it would stop aswClear cleaning up avast and the registry entries, etc.

Hopefully that should resolve it as the problem was likely to be in the registry, which would have been the next step since the removal of reboot.txt didn't work. Unfortunately I was tucked up in bed when your reply came.

Frank1

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »
After reinstallation it has gone o.k overnight.
My Avast application is still 1169 and I won't update it manually since I did that before and I think that was the cause of my problem with the popup to reboot. I'll wait for it do it automatically.
Thanks Rassel and DavidR
Frank1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 04:52:48 AM »
My Avast application is still 1169 and I won't update it manually since I did that before and I think that was the cause of my problem with the popup to reboot. I'll wait for it do it automatically.
It won't make difference if the update is manually or automatic started... imho.
The best things in life are free.

wuz

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 09:27:23 AM »
I have had this problem possibly since downloading XP SR3 so I will be interested to know if the fix worked.
Where is the 1169 or 1170 appear as I don't see it in About. I thought the problem might have been because  the initial Avast upgrade tried to start in an user account rather than one of thr admin accounts on my XP Pro setup.

Thanks in advance.

Wuz

Frank1

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:55:45 AM »
Wuz, I don't know about SR3, I run XP SP2. If launch the About Avast from the Avast icon in the system tray, then click on the plus on the left of 'avast! version 4.8 Home Edition' it will expand to show the Build and other things.
You have a good idea. Maybe I had the problem because I tried to update manually in the limited user mode.
Tech, what do you thing about that? Should I try it out?
Frank1