Author Topic: "unknown error message", "Application cannot load skin. Function usiGetSkin Fail  (Read 7654 times)

blumen

I just installed version 4.8 on my computer.  When I get this error message I go to the fix at http://www.avast.com/eng/i_have_installed_ava.html and copy the code for windows XP and run it, but it still doesn't fix the problem. 

What should I do?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Are you using Vista?
Alwil team should update that support page...

If you have Windows XP/Vista:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX

If you have Windows XP/Vista x64:
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX

For some reason, ActiveSkin (the 3rd party library avast uses for skinning) does not seem to be working on your system. As a workaround, we may disable skinning in avast - that should solve the problem.

To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry:
StartWithSkin=0

Can run ashSimp2.exe without problems?
The best things in life are free.

blumen

I'm using Windows XP

Your replied:
To do that, open the file <avast>\data\avast4.ini, look up the [UserInterface] section, and add the following entry:
StartWithSkin=0

Please tell me step by step how to do the above.

You asked if I can run ashSimp2.exe without problems.  When I copy that file into run, it says Windows can't find it.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Don't copy it into run, just double click it, to run it.

I assume you were able to find it in the avast4 folder ?

1. When you find the avast4.ini file, "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini" if installed in the default location, open it with notepad.
2. Find the section starting with [UserInterface].
3. Is there a line that starts with StartWithSkin= in that section (before the next section name [ section name ]), if so change the value to 0.
4. If there is no line beginning with StartWithSkin= create a new line and type the following StartWithSkin=0 (ensure it is between the section names [ ].
5. File Save, the avast self-defence with ask if this is OK answer Yes.

That should be you done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

blumen

Looks like it is all fixed.  Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
What fixed it there were three options I believe ?
1. The run command, C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\REGSVR32.EXE ACTSKIN4.OCX
2. Run the ashSimp2.exe directly
3. Edit the avast4.ini to use the skinless option all the time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security