Author Topic: Free Firewalls best compatible with Windows 98 and Avast  (Read 2915 times)

trigan

Free Firewalls best compatible with Windows 98 and Avast
« on: May 17, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »
I have had Windows 98 for ten years now and I do not want to upgrade to another Windows version unless I absolutely have to. And I am still with my anitquated Dial-up internet connection. So far no problems with both AND it is saving me a lot of money in throwing away a perfectly good computer and paying much more for a broadband connection !

I downloaded AVAST! Version 4.8 Home Edition build 4.8.1169 only a few days ago.
I have Windows 98, ZoneLabs Free Firewall 5.5.062 (also known as ZoneAlarm Free), Dialup Internet connection, GenuineIntel PII 350 MHz, 256 MB ram, Firefox Internet browser Version 2.0.0.14

I have learnt that there is a highly rate free firewall called COMODO.

Could I ask any of you to please check for me whether I should install the Comodo firewall if there is a version that is compatible with Windows 98 OR go for a ZoneAlarm upgrade if there is a free upgrade that is compatible with Windows 98 ?

What firewall will present least problems with Windows 98 and Avast ?

Thank you.

Re: Free Firewalls best compatible with Windows 98 and Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
Hi Unfortunatelly COMODO supports windows above (included) Windows2000, so you can choose from Jettico personal firewall & Sygate Personal Firewall both supports Win98

trigan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:51:41 PM »
Thank you Avatar2005.

So now I have a choice of 3 free firewalls !!!
ZoneAlarm, Jettico and Sygate.

Can anyone advise me on which of these 3 firewalls are BEST compatible with Avast and Windows 98 please ?

Thank you.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
Well, ZoneAlarm Free have no problems  with Avast, so you can stay with it ;)