Author Topic: Messages from Zone Alarm Security Alert  (Read 2872 times)

Bob507

Messages from Zone Alarm Security Alert
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:25:58 AM »
A few days ago I started getting repeated messages from Zone Alarm, saying that avast e-Mail Scanner Service is trying to access the Internet. 

Identification:  Not available in ZoneAlarm.
Application: ashMaiSv.exe
Destination IP:  209.86.93.206:POP3
More Information: This program has previously asked for Internet access.

An accompanying message:
CHANGED PROGRAM
Application: ashServ.exe
Destination IP: 54.233.167.99:DNS
This program has changed since the last time it ran!

Another message:
REPEAT PROGRAM
avast! antivirus service is trying to access the trusted Zone.
Application:  AshServ.exe
Destination IP:  207.69.188.185:DNS
More Information: This program has previously asked for Internet access.

I am running Avast Home Edition 4.8.1201, Windows XP, SP2

Is the problem Avast, Zone Alarm, or something else?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Messages from Zone Alarm Security Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:45:54 AM »
The avast e-Mail Scanner Service should access the Internet to scan your email.
Recently avast program was updated twice, so it's normal that ZA detects a different version of the scanner trying to connect.

Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup (avast! Update executable). This is a temporary file that just appears when an update (check) is about to launch, and disappears again afterwards.

Don't need rights to connect:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service). Although, ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Messages from Zone Alarm Security Alert
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:03:29 AM »
Obviously as program updates are released elements change so it would be right for ZA to ask permission again for a changed avast provider.

When asked did you allow permission and tick the remember this answer or words to that effect ?

If so I suggest that you delete the entry for ashMaiSv.exe in ZA's program control. Now connect to the internet and try to collect your email, ZA should ask permission ensure you allow it and have it remember your decision.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security