Author Topic: Panic striken -- Avast crashing(blue screen of death my vista ultimate 64  (Read 2765 times)

GranpaSam

I have been having troubles for 2 days now. Story begins by me having 90% RAM (4gigs) being used whilst playing BF2 well i know vista ultimate takes up about 25% all time but this was strange so I did what anyone would do and spyware search and virus search. 7% into my Avast scan it detects a Trojan virus in some windows file which if I had a memory i would recall it but I chose to delete it(maybe a mistake) and not move to chest. I then continued the scan, ---uh oh --- now somewhere into scan the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH occured and reloaded windows after system dump and told me my very legit copy hasnt got validation unless i uninstall the program that is incompatible and then re-validate, only accepted my uninstall of Avast in safe mode. Got back into windows having turned off restore and wanted to check virus had been removed but had no Avast :( so I reinstalled it knowing it really is compatible. (RAM usage returned to normal) . Avast started scan and then --- uh oh BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH again and after clean boot again and again it keeps happening dont know what to do. has anyone else had trouble, is AVAST the problem --- hope not.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Please send me the corresponding minidumps (recent files from the \windows\system32 folder) by email.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

GranpaSam

For anyone reading, currently I have re-installed Bitdefender total 2008 and had a system dump on that too whilst running deep scan. It may turn out to be my memory and not Avast as in Bios the memories speed was manual reset at 400 Mhz (2x 2 gig pairs of corsair platinum 400mhz) but when I set it to  auto it droppped down to 4 gigs of 333mhz paired. Not that they cant run at 400 as they are designed to but it could be a factor to consider. Since changing it to 333mhz I still have had 2 system dumps not related to avast and likely to be Nokia pc suite which was installed for parteners phone just before it happened. Since then Bitdefender internet 2008 installed (had a license for that not bitdefender total 2008) and setup with no Windows firewall or defender and not opened windows media player and so far all actions including gaming and virus scan havent caused more system dumps. Also to note no spyware or Virus has been detected since initial time. When I get a reply from Vlk I will post his response if he hasnt. Bitdefender is an ok AV and firewall but I like Avast better as it picked up a trojan sitting on my machine where as Bitdefender 10 hadnt whilst installed, and avast was just a tryout coz something wasnt running right and my Dad had come across the program. I like the philosophy of free AV to home users as most users dont go out delving into fiules potentially infected they just use bog standard interntet and media functions of the PC- good on you Avast. I may buy the business version for additional functions as I would like one program to deal with AV, Spyware, firewall etc not multiple programs and Avast deserves my money :). Man I can waffle.