Author Topic: Cannot access internet after uninstalling/disabling Avast  (Read 4625 times)

albundy

Cannot access internet after uninstalling/disabling Avast
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »
Ever since installing Avast, when I disable it or uninstall it, My Windows XP prevents me from accessing the internet warning that there isnt a antivirus program installed. With other antivirus programs  I didnt see this problem.

Does Avast do anything to the registries or anything else?

Please advice

thanks

Al.

rassel

Re: Cannot access internet after uninstalling/disabling Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »
I don't think that avast block you from connecting to the internet. Please give more information about your system...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
Hmm. Just tried this, and as expected, I can still connect with AV disabled. I'm using build 4.8.1195.
So, in answer to your question, I'd say no.
The absence of security software should not cause XP to prevent internet access. The Windows security centre will pop a warning (in the form of a red shield and a balloon tip in the system tray), but it shouldn't prevent access.
What AV did you use before; what other security software is installed, have you ever had any of those popups telling you you are infected, and need to run "application X" now?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

rassel

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
Yea i support your answer too.

when I disable it or uninstall it, My Windows XP prevents me from accessing the internet warning that there isnt a antivirus program installed.

Did your computer installed with zone alarm?

avastos

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »
Yea i support your answer too.

when I disable it or uninstall it, My Windows XP prevents me from accessing the internet warning that there isnt a antivirus program installed.

Did your computer installed with zone alarm?

Guys, this is a real issue. There's another forum with no solution to this date. I'm having the same issue. Unable to uninstall or disable Avast Free version without loosing internet contact. I think the culprit component is Network Shield.
I was trying to disable avast because it was making my audio card go sluggish. Disabling Avast would smoothen  audio, but my conection would be lost, even when the wireless router was there showing a strong signal, and ipconfig showed the right ie properties and pinged correctly to my router and my other pc machine could connect w/o any problems through the same router.
I tried then to uninstall Avast, but as soon as I did, I lost all Internet access. I've spent several days looking for an answer to this issue. Unfortunately it seems nobody has an answer. It is like Avast has totally hijacked my Internet access on this computer.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:53:55 AM »
Guys, this is a real issue. There's another forum with no solution to this date. I'm having the same issue. Unable to uninstall or disable Avast Free version without loosing internet contact. I think the culprit component is Network Shield.
I was trying to disable avast because it was making my audio card go sluggish. Disabling Avast would smoothen  audio, but my conection would be lost, even when the wireless router was there showing a strong signal, and ipconfig showed the right ie properties and pinged correctly to my router and my other pc machine could connect w/o any problems through the same router.
I tried then to uninstall Avast, but as soon as I did, I lost all Internet access. I've spent several days looking for an answer to this issue. Unfortunately it seems nobody has an answer. It is like Avast has totally hijacked my Internet access on this computer.
It would have been better for you to have started a new topic about your problem as this topic is nearly 5 years old and relates to avast 4.

Please supply information about your system version and spec's, version of avast using and other security installed including firewall.