Author Topic: My Problems have been refined  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
My Problems have been refined
« on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:12 AM »
Hey guys no one except for one person replied to my last post about "be careful what you believe" and I think its for the fact that It wasn't well put together because I was angry at the time and ok well here I have refined the problems after researching a bit

Today I booted up my old laptop and a few minuets after logging in and letting everything load I started yahoo messenger I then was about to start Firefox when I got the message "your last session ended unexpectedly etc." and then It froze so I pulled the plug and let it sit for a hour to get past the "boot" trouble I depicted in the last post and I started it up again this time It seemed to work so I started to update all my security applications and when SUPERantispyware was updating it froze yet again, so once again I let it sit for another few hours and then I tried it in safe mode with networking and tada it ran perfectly but for some reason my network card didn't load because of the restriction with safe mode but at least it ran so I checked my startup thinking it might be that and nothings different about it Ive noticed one thing My computer only freezes in regular mode when I'm doing a task or running a application

now that I have refined my problems can someone help me shed some light on this issue? because this just started occurring yesterday randomly

once again, thanks
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: My Problems have been refined
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
As you've told us in a previous post that this is a second-hand laptop bought cheaply, I'd be inclined to suspect a hardware problem, but 'all my security applications' sounds a bit ominous: have you tried using MSConfig to disable all but essential start-up items?

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

If you're still having problems, it may well be hardware-related.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 03:18:21 PM »
I have used MSconfig to disable many of the startup items to see if it was a RAM issue but when I restarted the laptop same issue complete freeze again

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »
If you have a chance before the computer freezes, jave a look at Administative Tools>Event Viewer (particularly System and Application) and look for any error messages that might give you a clue about the problem. Right-clicking on any item and selecting properties brings up more information. there's sometiimes a link to check out.

Have you done a hard disk check?

Another suggestion is to download a Linux LiveCD and run it: if it runs smoothly, you can say that the problem is with Windows or the HD, because a LiveCD doesn't touch the HD.

If Linux has similar problems, the LiveCD has a memory check option: use this to test out your memory.

That's about all I can think of!

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:00:16 PM »
Hey sorry its taken me so long to reply I was on a camping trip,
anyways after starting up my laptop in safe mode I removed almost everything except for system services and rebooted into normal mode but sadly I missed SUPERantispyware and when it loaded it caused my system to completely lock up again so I pulled the plug and after letting it sit for about a hour I started it back up again into normal mode and stopped superantispyware from loading and all was fine then I checked for system errors and Ive got nurmerous errors and warning for

Acpiec
DCOM
ServiceControlManager
Tcpip

and numerous others around startup
would these have anything to do or can you decipher anything from this?

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:27:49 PM »
Have a look at the air intakes for the fans. Can you see a lot of dust? The fan might need cleaning.

There's a diagnostic tool for your computer here which might help:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4YZM3F

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »
alright do you think this could be the cause?

ill give it a try as soon as the old comp desides it wants to turn on  ;D