Author Topic: Avast eating up Internet Connections?  (Read 10149 times)

artki

Avast eating up Internet Connections?
« on: March 28, 2004, 10:19:49 AM »
   When using a Bittorrent client I have the maximum number of connections (to other users - it's a p2p program) set to 52.  If I let Bittorrent try for an unlimited number of connections somewhere around the 70-80 count it will suck up all of my bandwidth and I won't be able to use the internet for anything other than bittorrent until I quit the program.

Just installed Avast today.  Since then I've been maxing out my internet connections while using Bittorent at around the 50 mark.  Avast is the only thing I've changed on my computer (Other than uninstalling the old anti-virus program)  Could Avast be doing something (like checking for new definitions REALLY often) that uses up connections and maybe it isn't releasing those connections once it's done it's check?

I'm running Win98.  DSL connection.  512meg ram.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 10:40:46 AM by artki »

Fast

Re:Avast eating up Internet Connections?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »
Go to Avast! config panel and check the "always connected" box.
This way Avast! won't ping the server for a new vdf-file every *seconds.

Bye

artki

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 11:25:39 AM »
  That helps somewhat.  I can get up to 60 connections in BT now.  Let's see if it gets worse over time...

Thanks.
------------------ a bit later --------
   I turned off the automatic updating and it STILL sucks up a bunch of connections.   BT topped out at 60 connections again with Avast running.  Why does it need so many connections if it isn't checking for updates?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 12:27:21 PM by artki »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 03:43:37 PM »
Go to Avast! config panel and check the "always connected" box.
This way Avast! won't ping the server for a new vdf-file every *seconds.

You say seconds...
In fact, avast! checks for an update every 4 hours after a succesfull search.
So, I think it's not probable that avast! is due to Internet connections consumption...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 03:52:48 PM »
I turned off the automatic updating and it STILL sucks up a bunch of connections. BT topped out at 60 connections again with Avast running. Why does it need so many connections if it isn't checking for updates?

As you write, if you turned off the automatic updating, avast! cannot due to that connections... It's strange.

Do you use a firewall?
How are you being informed about the number of connections?

artki

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 04:25:12 PM »
> As you write, if you turned off the automatic updating, avast! cannot due to that connections... It's strange.

Strange but true!  The only change on my system is that Avast is running instead of Mcaffee.

> Do you use a firewall?
  ZoneAlarm.

> How are you being informed about the number of connections?

I don't have a direct report on what programs are using how many connections.  But I can see exactly how many connections the bittorrent program is using and it also displays an error message when it wants to make more connections but has run out of buffer space.  When that happens I can't use my browser, send email and so on.
   Before Avast, I could get 70-80.  Afterwards, I get 60 at best and it's beginning to look like that number gets smaller as I stay online.  I changed the BT program to limit my max connections to 45 but after a few hours I might have run into that problem again.  Haven't had the time to experiment thoroughly so I'm not sure.
   It's clear that SOMETHING is different in regards to internet connections while Avast is running.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 05:42:24 PM »
Before Avast, I could get 70-80.  Afterwards, I get 60 at best

Am I reading correctly? avast! is only taking 10-20 connections.
Can you teach me a little on this? I think each browser window take one connection, each download window another...
Maybe avast! ping more than one server to update but no more than 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.
Can you pause the avast! update service and see what happens (Administrative Tools > Services > avast! iAVS4 Control Service)?

Be patient with me, I'm not a guru of these stuffs...

artki

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 12:46:02 AM »
> Am I reading correctly? avast! is only taking 10-20 connections.

It would appear so.  But I don't have a program that can look at things in that detail.  There's probably one that comes with win98, I just don't know it's name.

> Can you teach me a little on this? I think each browser window take one connection, each download window another...
  Some browser windows take more than one.  Ads and sometimes graphics will not be visible when I'm very low in connections.

> Maybe avast! ping more than one server to update but no more than 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.

I have all the automatic update stuff turned off.  It shouldn't be using ANY connections.

>Can you pause the avast! update service and see what happens (Administrative Tools > Services > avast! iAVS4 Control Service)?
  I don't see this menu.  Is it in the professional version?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 12:56:48 AM »
Can you pause the avast! update service and see what happens (Administrative Tools > Services > avast! iAVS4 Control Service)?
I don't see this menu.  Is it in the professional version?

No it's not of avast menu...
Start Menu (of Windows) > Administrative Tools > Services > avast! iAVS4 Control Service

Anyway, I find no way to give you more help as it is not an avast normal behavior and I just know things about normal behavior of it. Maybe someone from Alwil could tell you something.

artki

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 02:25:22 AM »
> No it's not of avast menu...
Start Menu (of Windows) > Administrative Tools > Services > avast! iAVS4 Control Service

I don't think that's in Win98.  

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004, 03:03:16 AM »
You`re right, sorry. I thought you have XP...

artki

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 07:29:19 AM »
   An update.  I found a couple of programs that let you keep tabs on your open internet connections.  NETSTAT.exe comes with windows.  TCPVIEW is a GUI version - a free download.
   So I get on the 'net, take a look at TCPVIEW and see a bunch of connections.  Start up my BT client, start some downloads and see a WHOLE bunch of connections <g>.  I don't see where any of them can be "blamed" on Avast.
    I let the BT client grab as many connections as possible and, like my orginal post said, I run out pretty quickly.  I reboot (so I can test with a clear start) and as soon as I get to the desktop I wipeout Avast from memory (using a program called APPSWAT).  I have to do it this way because there's no obvious way of quitting Avast completely short of uninstalling and rebooting.  I then log on the internet, fire up my BT client and start downloading.  Many more connections are now available.   Over 70, just like before.
   So it appears that Avast is doing something that LIMITS my maximum number of connections without actually using them. (remember I have the automatic updating turned completly off)

I've noticed something else that may be connected.  My windows swapfile is usually around 196 meg.  From time to time it'll get real big (over 300 meg) but after a while it moves back down to 196.  Since I've installed Avast it seems the swap files gets real big more often.  That may be just a coincidence or a false perception however.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 12:02:34 AM »
It reaches the end of my knowleadge...
Sorry, now you have to ask for Alwil help  :-\