Author Topic: ashDisp.exe  (Read 13986 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:ashDisp.exe
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2004, 12:16:48 AM »
Sure... Or you can have it running all the time - since it may actually be a bit difficult to launch it at the moment ashDisp is taking all the CPU time... :) Thanks Vlk

I'm downloading it right now and I'll try to learn how to run it...
Will it be good that I have the debugger running in background for you?
Will this help in anyway?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2004, 12:19:48 AM »
What language version of avast are you using, by the way?
And do you have the latest build? [4.1.357 at the moment]

Thanks
Vlk

Why did you say that? Sometimes avast take a lot of my CPU time too... I do not worry to much (loggoff or reboot) but could it be a problem in the Portuguese version too? Does the English version do not have this error?

Can the user avoid this:

.dump /ma c:\avast.dmp
This command can take some time to complete (depending on the speed of your Internet connection, because it will be donwloading the symbols from the MS site).

Probably, when I have a problem I cannot get connected and so, I won't be able to download such symbols... Can't I have if off-line, already downloaded in my PC?  ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 12:55:53 AM by Technical »

User Friendly PC

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2004, 09:11:22 AM »
I'm having the same problem using the English version.  I noticed that the problem did not occur until the last program update.

Steve

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2004, 10:54:37 AM »
Are you sure it's ashDisp.exe that's taking up the CPU??
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2004, 03:11:48 PM »
Can the user avoid this:

.dump /ma c:\avast.dmp
This command can take some time to complete (depending on the speed of your Internet connection, because it will be donwloading the symbols from the MS site).

Probably, when I have a problem I cannot get connected and so, I won't be able to download such symbols... Can't I have if off-line, already downloaded in my PC?  ::)

Vlk, could you say me something about my previous question?  8)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2004, 06:56:46 PM »
Symbols are a great mess. In general, unless you're willing to spend lots of time and risk being frustrated to maximum insanity there's no other way than using the symbol servers (i.e. working with the debugger while online). Well in fact the debugger is trying to cache the symbols it downloaded, but it doesn't always work...

The code the problem lies in the fact that there are too many Windows configurations/service packs/hotfixes to find the symbols that would exactly match your current system...

Vlk
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 06:57:13 PM by Vlk »

User Friendly PC

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2004, 10:44:15 PM »
Quote from: Vlk link=board=2;threadid=3563;start=15#msg25837 dt=1080636877
Are you sure it's ashDisp.exe that's taking up the CPU??

Twice it has been ashDisp.exe but I have not been able to reproduce the problem however after reading through some of the other replies for other problems I have found that running Shareaza will cause ashServ.exe to take up 98-99 percent of the CPU.  It took about an hour for me to gain control back without rebooting.  What I found was that ashServ.exe priority was set to high and task manager will not allow it to be changed to normal.  The only way to gain control back is to Stop on access protection.  I was able to stop the service through the control panel however it was reported back as unable to stop it.  After stopping on access protection, I noted that the priority was then normal.  I hope this helps.

jagiello

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2004, 10:57:56 PM »
yeah, is it really necessary to have the ashServ priority set to high? can it be changed?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 03:43:10 AM »
Symbols are a great mess. In general, unless you're willing to spend lots of time and risk being frustrated to maximum insanity there's no other way than using the symbol servers (i.e. working with the debugger while online). Well in fact the debugger is trying to cache the symbols it downloaded, but it doesn't always work...

Great mess...
Spend lots of time...
Risk...
Frustrated...
Maximum insanity...
There's no other way...
But it doesn't always work...

I give up!  ;D

Can you at least tell me what if the 'page faults' into the Windows Task Manager (a column that could be shown there)?
ashserv.exe has a 'million' of page faults... more than any other application and/or service... Is this an error? Is it the cause of system failure or freeze?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 07:51:15 AM »
Can you at least tell me what if the 'page faults' into the Windows Task Manager (a column that could be shown there)?
ashserv.exe has a 'million' of page faults... more than any other application and/or service... Is this an error? Is it the cause of system failure or freeze?  

Well in a sense, it's not ideal but it's really not a problem either.
Page faults are caused by almost anything a program does - a 'page fault' is a process in which a piece of memory is being recalled from the paging file. Since ashServ.exe is polling the system (checking the status) in pretty short intervals (couple of seconds), if you have long uptimes, you'll see a huge number of page faults. They accumulate...

Actually the current version of avast (4.1) is much better in this aspect than the original 4.0. In other words, we're trying to push this value to minimum...

Hope this helps,
Vlk

User Friendly PC

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2004, 10:36:40 AM »

Well in a sense, it's not ideal but it's really not a problem either.
Page faults are caused by almost anything a program does - a 'page fault' is a process in which a piece of memory is being recalled from the paging file. Since ashServ.exe is polling the system (checking the status) in pretty short intervals (couple of seconds), if you have long uptimes, you'll see a huge number of page faults. They accumulate...

Actually the current version of avast (4.1) is much better in this aspect than the original 4.0. In other words, we're trying to push this value to minimum...

Hope this helps,
Vlk

But is it necessary for ashserv.exe to have it's priority set to high when it is running.  Having it set so high makes it all but impossible to break out of it when it starts absorbing all of the CPU time.  Also, do we know why it starts to run rampant bringing the rest of the system to a near halt.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2004, 03:01:27 PM »
Thanks Vlk...
The question about the ashserv.exe priority (High or Normal) remains  :-\

User Friendly PC

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2004, 12:29:38 AM »
For the time being, I have disabled P2P Shield and so far have not had anymore problems.  But is still early as sometimes the problems are unpredictable.  This may be a good place to start looking at the code.

Steve