Author Topic: Outlook Express / sending mail problem  (Read 12109 times)

marinus

Outlook Express / sending mail problem
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Windows XP Pro SP2
Avast 4.8 Home edition

I'm new to Avast (made the switch from Symantec), and I'm experiencing some problems with sending mail.
I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.

It's only with outbound mail. I've tried switching scanning of it off, but it doesn't help.
Funny thing is that it happens only with bigger mails. If the mail is only a few lines (a few kbs) it goes, but if it's bigger it doesn't.
There's no specific error message, but there's the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark indication that something's wrong. It says "Warnings" in the status column of the tasks and Local Area Network in the connection column.

The mail sticks in the Outbox, causing it to be resent and resent and resent and it IS sent and delivered.

I'm running Windows firewall, Symantec was completely removed with the Symantec Removal Tool, so I don't think that's causing any problems.
When I switch off the Outlook/Exchange in Avast, the problem seems to be solved.
ashMaiSv.exe is running in the processes, Windows Firewall is not blocking Avast.

I tried the search on the forum, and found similar items, but I couldn't find a working answer to this issue.

Does anyone have any idea? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Outlook Express / sending mail problem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:33:22 PM »
Can you tell us a little more about the account (please do not disclose any personal details)?

Is this a regular SMTP account sending on port 25?  Is the account set up to use a secure connection to the server when sending mail?

Have you made any changes (apart from unchecking the scanning of sent mail) to the avast Internet Mail provider?   

marinus

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »
It is a regular SMTP, port 25, not sending through a secure connection.
I set the Heuristics to silent with mark in the subject field. Other than that and the unchecking of the scanning of sent mail I haven't made any changes.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »
The Outlook/Exchange provider is a plugin only used by MS Outlook and has no role to play in receiving/sending email with Outlook Express.  It is not clear how stopping that provider could affect sending from Outlook Express. 

If you do not user MS Outlook then you can safely leave the Outlook/Exchange provider terminated. 

If you leave that provider off is the mail from OE sent consistently without problems whatever the message size?   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 03:43:38 AM »
It's becoming mysterious... I love when someone is trying to discover mysteries...
Good luck Alanrf ;)
The best things in life are free.

marinus

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:32:24 AM »

If you leave that provider off is the mail from OE sent consistently without problems whatever the message size?   

ARGH! No, it's not consistent. That one time I switched it off must've been a lucky shot then!
It won't send anymore.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
It is not clear how stopping that provider could affect sending from Outlook Express.

I rather feared that would be the case. 

Is the system you are using to send the emails using a wireless or wired connection?

marinus

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »
It's wireless. And a strong connection.
I figured that that might be the problem, but I checked for time-outs, which hasn't been the case.

The emails are sent normally, they just get some kind of error which makes them stick in the outbox.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »
For this account in OE in the "Servers" tab ... at the bottom (Outgoing Mail Server section)  is the box "My server requires authentication" checked or empty?

Is your wireless connection to your base station secured (ie do you use WPA or at least WEP for the connection)? 

blue2

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:59:24 AM »
Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Windows XP Pro SP2
Avast 4.8 Home edition

Funny thing is that it happens only with bigger mails. If the mail is only a few lines (a few kbs) it goes, but if it's bigger it doesn't.

The mail sticks in the Outbox, causing it to be resent and resent and resent and it IS sent and delivered.

Well, I'm not sure that this is an Avast issue. On this machine running XP Pro SP3 and NOT running Avast, yesterday for the first time since forever I had a similar problem with Outlook Express. Small mails went through (I ran some tests), but all of the larger one got hung up on the server, gave me Outook error messages (OX800CCC19) and then sent the emails REPEATEDLY, over twenty times.

From what I've read this could be caused by a corrupt database file in Outlook Express (Pop3uidl.dbx), so I tried closing Outook Express, deleting the file, rebooting and re-opening OE which generated a new file, but that still did not solve the issue.

This happened with Hotmail so I was tempted to think this might have been something screwy with their mail servers yesterday...

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 10:07:35 AM »
Thanks for that update but I have to doubt that it is related to this problem.

Hotmail in OE uses the WebDav protocol to connect to the Hotmail servers.  WebDav is a specialized form of HTTP (and proprietary to Microsoft) and is completely different and separate from the SMTP protocol that the original poster here reports using.

marinus

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 10:14:49 AM »
Indeed it's something else than the Hotmail.
Aside that, the problem still persists.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
And the answers to my last questions please ....

marinus

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:28:29 AM »
For this account in OE in the "Servers" tab ... at the bottom (Outgoing Mail Server section)  is the box "My server requires authentication" checked or empty?

I have 12 POP3 accounts running in OE and they all behave the same. The box is empty.

Is your wireless connection to your base station secured (ie do you use WPA or at least WEP for the connection)? 

It's secured with WEP.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
And you have problems only with the SMTP sending of one of those accounts or all 12?