Author Topic: Avast! version 4.8 Professional  (Read 3830 times)

Stewart Fluney

Avast! version 4.8 Professional
« on: May 25, 2008, 04:46:27 PM »
I'm new to your program and brand new to your forum and would appreciate your co-operation, advice and indulgence in answering the following questions:

1.  After running Avast!, I took the recommended advice and isolated the two infected files.  May I presume the system doesn't require them and I can  remove completely?  They are:   
(1) A0053961.exe, location - C:\System Volume Information\_restore, Virus - Win 32: Adware-g...
(2) kmd133_en.exe, location - C:\Program Files\KaZaA\My Shared Folder, Virus - Win 32: Adware-g...

2.  Can I run Avast! in the Normal and Thorough scan modes instead of just "Quick" scan?  How do I do this?  I cannot see or find a place to enable!

3.  I have only scanned the Hard Drive.  Need I do CDs as well?

4.  How ofter should I scan the Hard Drive?

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop computer with Windows XP Home Edition operating system, Service
Pack 2, Pentium 111 processor with 930 MHZ, 20 GB Hard Drive and 512 MB of RAM.  The file system is FAT 32.   

I would be grateful for your response.  Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney   

sanctuaryforever

Re: Avast! version 4.8 Professional
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:51:53 PM »
When files are quarantined (sent to chest) they are isolated there is no need to hastily delete them, this allows for further analysis before you take any action (in some cases there can be false positives so you should always err on the side of caution)

2. There is a slider within the scan function that allows you to adjust the scan strength, this detailed in the Avast help file

3. No need to scan them unless you use them regularly plus even if the files were infected your resident protection would pick them up

4. I would suggest every 2-4 weeks or whenever you suspect your system maybe behaving strangely

I would still wait for more advanced advice on what you should do as I am only speaking from my own learned knowledge
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 05:56:31 PM by sanctuaryforever »

Stewart Fluney

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »
sanuaryforever:

Many thanks for your response.  It is very helpful.

I apologize for missing the information regarding the slider within the scan function.  I was looking in the Help File and missed it.

Thanks again.

Stewart Fluney

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
no worries mate glad I could help, come back if you need anymore help

Stewart Fluney

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
sanctuaryforever:

Thanks for the invitation to come back if I need any more help.

Actually, there is something else I hope you don't mind assisting me on.  Under Resident Scanner in Avast! 4.8 Professional it was set at Custom and I accidentally deleted it and now I don't know how to get it back and if I actually want it back.  Can you tell me what is the recommended setting - Standard or High?  I don't know where the setting of Custom came from.  Do you know anything about that?

I have the setting at Standard at the moment.

Could you please explain and help me with this.  Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney

sanctuaryforever

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »
Standard should be fine for most shields as high can be quite cpu intensive, however if you have a fast processor and you would like to up the security you can do, a major difference between standard and high is what is scanned and how often but standard is fine in most cases

custom is generally were you pick certain options that are a combination of standard and high

Stewart Fluney

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »
sanctuaryforever:

Many thanks.

Stewart Fluney