Author Topic: Log viewer not functioning???  (Read 5221 times)

htilburgs

Log viewer not functioning???
« on: March 28, 2004, 07:45:06 PM »
Hi there,

Avast! is running fine!, what do I say, GREAT! so there's no problem. But there seems to be a problem with the logviewer.

There's nothing in the log!? Nothing good and nothing bad.
If Avast! catches a virus, shouldn't this be in there?

I here from you..... :o

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Log viewer not functioning???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 08:43:07 PM »
Hi,

The log (don't confuse that with reports, I'll get back to those in a moment) primarily keeps track of problems avast ecounters with itself or with the system (problems installing, for example).  If it's running smoothly then it's normal for the logs to be empty, or nearly empty.

Virus-detection activity (whether via the resident protection providers or an on-demand scan) is recorded in the reports, if you have reports enabled.  You didn't mention whether you're using the Home or Pro version -- with Home (which I use), you can access those manually, they're ordinary txt files in the Data/Report folder under the Avast folder.

I believe in the Pro version (and of course I'm open to correction on this) the reports can be accessed more easily right from avast's own menu in its interface.

Best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

htilburgs

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2004, 08:53:41 PM »
 ;D

Ok, thanks. Nice to now I've a good working system (but I'll already knew !!   ;) )
For the completion, I use the Home edition.
I didn't look well enough because the files are accesible through the  Main Program, option "Virus Chest".

And they are indeed normal textfiles in the \Avast4\DATA\Report> directory.

Regards, Motormuis

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 11:59:33 PM »
The log (don't confuse that with reports, I'll get back to those in a moment) primarily keeps track of problems avast ecounters with itself or with the system (problems installing, for example).  If it's running smoothly then it's normal for the logs to be empty, or nearly empty.

Ok, like Mike said... You can choose the lower value in the log viewer ('Debbug') so, all items above will be included.

Virus-detection activity (whether via the resident protection providers or an on-demand scan) is recorded in the reports, if you have reports enabled.  You didn't mention whether you're using the Home or Pro version -- with Home (which I use), you can access those manually, they're ordinary txt files in the Data/Report folder under the Avast folder.

I believe in the Pro version (and of course I'm open to correction on this) the reports can be accessed more easily right from avast's own menu in its interface.

Ok, Mike is right again. Home version does not keep the reports for further analysis. This is a Pro version feature. Anyway, just after the scan you can work with the report.
The best things in life are free.

Steele

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 04:11:56 AM »
Technical?

What is the point of the Log Viewer in Windows XP Event Viewer? You know the one in XP PRO when you open Event Viewer? There is an entry for Avast4Home.

My question is.... what is it that Avast logs here? Can it be changed to log more or less?

All I recieve so far are update messages when new VPS files are released and installed. I think it may have logged a few false postives in the past. Remember that one VPS that was released that caused havok with peoples TEMP INTERNET FILES...specificaly the EBAY.DLL EBAY.HTML temp files! lol  ::) I had about 30 false positives that day!!  :P

What is the difference between the newly created log viewer that is "WITHIN" Event Viewer...and the Log Viewer you use "WITHIN" Avast4Home?

Is this confusing the hell out of ya yet?? lol  ;D

Thanks mate,
~Steele Wolf~

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 04:32:26 AM »
I don't know how to configurate the Windows XP events page...
Well, the Security page can be configurated, add or remove kinks of events. The others just have filters for type or date...
avast! tab do not seem to have an special configuration as far I know. Right now I`m on a Windows Me and cannot see that XP feature...

The avast! log viewer is the master log of avast. If you let if in the lower option (Debug), it will include all categories above... If you move the slider up, some events won't be logged (the categories bellow).

Logs are generally for troubles. As my avast works perfectly, I rarely see the logs  ;D

Steele

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 05:00:59 AM »
Interesting... I have a copy of Windows Me but SCRAPPED it when 2000 Pro came out! lol.... Clearly...I guess Me still works well for some people?  ;)

I use XP PRO now however.  8)

I did however think that Windows Me has Administrative Tools? I was sure an Event Viewer is present with ME? At least hidden somewhere? hmmm.... maybe not.

Interesting, anyways....thanks Technical!

~Steele Wolf~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 05:02:05 AM by Steele »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 05:06:39 AM »
Steele, I don't know... This computer is not mine!  ;D I'm in a notebook of a friend of mine, trying to teach him some avast stuffs...

I never used Me so I'm not familiarized with its features...
I think there is not such an event viewer because it is a 2000/NT/XP related thing.

Steele

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 05:43:39 AM »
Yup, you are indeed right! ???

Windows Me looks very much like Win2K...*in terms of interface appearance* I hardly ever used Me so I could not really remember... :P

~Steele Wolf~   ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 05:44:11 AM by Steele »