Author Topic: avast 4.8 slowing my vista start up  (Read 11647 times)

ady4um

Re: avast 4.8 slowing my vista start up
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »
I would suggest to let Avast scan dll's, not to override this. After changing that to the default (let Avast scan them), at least for troubleshooting purpose, maybe you could try:

1) Rightclick the Avast Icon in the Notification Area
2) Program Settings...
3) In the left panel, choose Troubleshooting
4) Check the "Delay loading of avast! services after other system services" option
5) Click "OK", close every other program and save your work and reboot.

This option may help you boot faster, but also it has the potential to let some malware get into your system and Avast not chatching it.

If this option helps you, you may try to locate what other services and/or programs are loading theirselfs. Avast is trying to scan those, and that slows the windows boot time. If you can identify the "problematic" proccess, another solution for you could be to delay *that* proccess, instead of avast. By doing so, the boot time will be fine, and avast will scan that other proccess only when it starts (that is, delayed).

I hope this helps.

SaintMyk

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:51 AM »
thanks guys for all the help/suggestions. now i'm wondering if i'm the only one on vista with this kind of problem. i don't see a post in this forum with this kind of predicament.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »
avast still takes 39 sec to load.
What other resident programs are being load?
What other startup programs are running?
The best things in life are free.

SaintMyk

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:31 AM »
avast still takes 39 sec to load.
What other resident programs are being load?
What other startup programs are running?

My start up includes:

Resident - Windows Defender, Synaptics Pointing Device Driver, Lenovo Hotkey.

Additional Apps - Comodo firewall Pro, Spam Fighter, Ypops, and lastly, avast.

Again, before avast I never encountered slow start up. I was on avg free 7.5 then.

I tried all the things you guys here said I should try but to no avail.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 05:06:20 PM »
I bet on Comodo firewall interaction with avast...
If you uninstall Comodo just for a while, will it help?

fazio93

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »
I bet on Comodo firewall interaction with avast...
If you uninstall Comodo just for a while, will it help?

never had a conflict between the both of them

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »
Lucky you... from time to time... not only me but all avast users has issues with Comodo. Sometimes due to avast, most of the times due to Comodo to inject code into dll loaded in memory...

fazio93

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 01:12:22 AM »
Lucky you... from time to time... not only me but all avast users has issues with Comodo. Sometimes due to avast, most of the times due to Comodo to inject code into dll loaded in memory...

are you talking about CFP 2.4 or 3.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »
Both. And both XP and Vista.
Without Defense+ it's a poor firewall imho. With it, it becomes hard to common users to administrate it. I could use Comodo in Vista just for few days and have a lot of problems.
PCTools shows to be more stable and simple on Vista.

SaintMyk

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:08 AM »
Hmmm... So are you guys saying comodo & avast doesn't go well together? Pity, I really like those two programs. So is there someone here who found a way to make this two programs work harmoniously together?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »
That isn't really what is being said, this is Tech own personal experience with comodo, but there are many forum members using it without problem. Like anything there are going to be cases were it doesn't work out for some people and that may be down th the additional software they may be using.

Each system is different in some ways, so the best way for you to tell is to try it and see how it works for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fazio93

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 11:06:45 PM »
but if it does work good for you, keep it. it is a GREAT combo of FW and AV.  :)

SaintMyk

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 04:00:26 PM »
but if it does work good for you, keep it. it is a GREAT combo of FW and AV.  :)

It does work for me. Only thing that's bugging me is the 39 sec loading of avast during boot up. I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the next version and hope the guys from alwil will do something about it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the next version and hope the guys from alwil will do something about it.
Please, don't forget to warn Comodo team also... last two times I had problems, the issue was in Comodo, accepting or not, due to code injection to dll memory space of other applications (like avast dlls).

SaintMyk

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
I guess the only thing I can do is wait for the next version and hope the guys from alwil will do something about it.
Please, don't forget to warn Comodo team also... last two times I had problems, the issue was in Comodo, accepting or not, due to code injection to dll memory space of other applications (like avast dlls).

I went on to post my avast problem at the comodo forum. They were quick to give their solutions but nothing helped.
I'm still getting this: