Author Topic: SMTP  (Read 2791 times)

jlvaz

SMTP
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »
I have XP, use Outlook Express, use Qwest/MSN as my ISP which now has become a POP 3 account for premium MSN customers as well as Hotmail Plus customers.  I just downloaded Avast and now my MSN/Quest accounts will not send.  I did try disabling the SMTP thru Avast and the emails will send if I do not scan the emails going out.  This is the error message that comes up.  Any suggestions what I can do in order to get Avast to scan outgoing emails? 

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account: 'Snag-Qwest', Server: 'smtp.live.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 OK', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

Jan

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: SMTP
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
The Internet Mail provider of avast makes a basic assumption that SMTP port 25 is used (as it almost exclusively is) for unsecured email connections that it can scan.

There are very few email services that have secured email connections on port 25.  Almost all email servers that use secure SMTP use port 465 for SSL.

Of course the whole point of secure connections is that they cannot be scanned and here avast, by its assumption, is getting in the way of your SMTP connection. 

To get round this problem you will need to tell avast not to scan the smtp.live.com outbound connection. 

In the Internet Mail provider > Customize > Redirect tab > In the "Ignored addresses" box enter:

smtp.live.com:25

OK > OK

This should remove the problem for you in sending the mail.

Scanning outbound mail gives no protection to you.  Your correspondents really should not believe in the scans claimed by others but trust only to their own scans of their inbound mail.

jlvaz

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
Thank you so much for your help.  It works perfectly now.  Maybe in time MSN/Hotmail Plus will change from Port 25 to another one.  This is something new for them, so I imagine they are experimenting.   :P

Jan

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:33:54 AM »
Glad it helped.

Welcome to the forum.

Souwalker

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »
Hi
This has only happen today. Have been using Avast for about 2 years and today I cnanot send/receive email.
I rang tech suppport and he asked me what anti-virus software am I using as I said Avast. he said I was the second to ring with this issue. His advise was to disable Avast andmy email is fixed. What has changed with the latest update?
Rgds
Patrick

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »
They have the neck to call themselves tech support ;D

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

When updates take place your firewall should recognise this change and ask permission again, if you make an incorrect choice that would block ashMaiSv.exe and subsequently your email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Souwalker

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:02 AM »
I am not using any firewall. I just have a router.
Rgds
pat

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »
We will need to know more about your email setup if it isn't a firewall blocking.

What is your ISP ?
Has your ISP recently changed to SSL (secure) email ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security