Author Topic: There are 23 exe's to choose from in my Avast Folder !!  (Read 2623 times)

trigan

There are 23 exe's to choose from in my Avast Folder !!
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:15:33 PM »
I have Windows 98, ZoneLabs Free Firewall 6.1.744.001, Dialup Internet connection, GenuineIntel PII 350 MHz, 256 MB ram, Firefox Internet browser Version 2.0.0.14, Avast Version 4.8 Home Edition build 4.8.1169 

In order to keep my anitquated computer running with as much RAM as possible and use as little background CPU processing power as possible, I removed the following Avast programs from automatically running at startup :

ashwebsv.exe
ashwmaisv.exe
ashserv.exe

Now I would want only Web Shield and Standard Shield to start running every time I boot up my computer because they would be well worth my computer's resources.
I need only run the anti virus program once a week to scan for viruses and NOT every time I boot up.

Can anyone tell me exactly what exe's in the Avast Folder I need to have automatically start up for these two Shields to run upon startup please ?

Many thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: There are 23 exe's to choose from in my Avast Folder !!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
avast is not intended to be run as on-demand only.
You'll have trouble to run it this way. It's better to choose Standard Shield options to Normal or even Custom and do not scan files on open/create/modified and disable all providers you don't need.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »
It would be far better for you to use the avast controls to determine the programs needed rather than tinker with avast's startup programs.

ashserv.exe is part of the Standard Shield.  ashWebSv.exe is the Webshield.  ashMaiSv.exe is the Internet Mail provider.  You can turn these on or off via the provider management panel of avast.

trigan

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:55:41 PM »
Thank you for your comment, Tech.
I have found that ticking the boxes next to ashwebsv.exe and ashserv.exe in the system configuration utility Startup list will have Standard Shield and Web Shield run upon startup.

I went to Standard Shield and clicked on CUSTOMIZE.
I left the boxes for Scan files on open and Scan created or modified files, unticked as you advised.
Under the BLOCKED tab, there were four options. Can you tell which to tick please ?
Blocked Operations :
1.Opening file for writing
2. Renaming file
3. Deleting file
4. Formatting

and it says below these, if operation is blocked, do you allow or deny the operation ?

Under ADVANCED tab, do I go for Silent Mode and if so, what box do I tick ?

I went to Web Shield and clicked on CUSTOMIZE.
Under URL BLOCKING, do I tick the Enable URL blocking box ?
What is URL blocking all about ? Not quite sure.....

Thank you !
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:00:09 PM by trigan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:14:27 PM »
Under the BLOCKED tab, there were four options. Can you tell which to tick please ?
Let the default.

Under ADVANCED tab, do I go for Silent Mode and if so, what box do I tick ?
It's not a good idea to set Silent Mode on Standard Shield. If avast found a virus with the resident provider, let it warns you about it.

I went to Web Shield and clicked on CUSTOMIZE.
Under URL BLOCKING, do I tick the Enable URL blocking box ?
What is URL blocking all about ? Not quite sure.....
None... An URL blocked won't be accessed by your browser. Let avast manage them.

trigan

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:30:44 PM »
Thank you Tech.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
Thank you Tech.
You're more than welcome ;)