Author Topic: Allowing Keylogger on your PC  (Read 5387 times)

PatRicks

Allowing Keylogger on your PC
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »
Hello, I have downloaded and installed AVAST on my computer. I had AVG Free previously and had been running a keylogger program before with no problem. Now that I have AVAST it will no longer allow the program to run as it labels it as a Trogan and recommend that it be sent to the Chest. I have tried to download a similar keylogger program and install but the results are the same, will not allow it to function. Is there a procedure within AVAST to circumvent the same results and allow a keylogger program to run on my PC. Thank You for any information that may be helpful ... Richard

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Allowing Keylogger on your PC
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »
If this keylogger was installed by you the generally there is no problem, the problem arises when something like a keylogger can be used for good or evil and avast won't know that.

First you should confirm the detecting with something like virustotal (see below) if avast is the only one to detect it you can exclude it from scans.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

If it is indeed a false positive (or you accept the risk), see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »
You need to use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.

rosarossa

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
* and ?.

hello!! i was just looking for this kind of information but sorry i did not understand what i have to type!
could you please help me?
i clicked program settings, went to the exclusion tabs and then? the program i need to install is "best free keylogger" BFK.
shall i write only *BFK ??
thank youuuuuuuu!

rosarossa

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:04:22 PM »
dear tech,
please help me with this keylogger.
i did all what you said but i did not understand what i have to type on the exclusion tab.
the keylogger is "best free keylogger" BFK, should i write on the exclusion tab only *BFK?
thanks a lot.
silvia

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:12:54 PM »
You need to exclude the file which is being detected by avast, when the alert comes up there is a path to the file copy and paste that information into the exclusion lists Tech gave.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
should i write on the exclusion tab only *BFK?
No, it won't work (on contrary...).
You need to add something like:
C:\Program files\BFK\BFK.exe
or
C:\Windows\BFK.exe
or
whatever is BFK installed and named.
The best things in life are free.