Author Topic: Scanning Stalls  (Read 2895 times)

Zigg

Scanning Stalls
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:12:53 AM »
I'm a new user of Avast.  So far very much like it.  The quick scan runs fine.   When doing a standard or complete scan the scanning process stalls at the same point each time.  The little bar at the bottom is still moving but my cpu usages stays around 2 percent.  When it is scanning before it stalls cpu usage is usually between 30 and 60 percent.  I've let it go for over two hours with no change.  Only 18gb being used on my hard drive.  Here is a screen shot of the file(s) it stall on.  I am using ZA Free version if that could make a difference.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scanning Stalls
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 01:00:57 AM »
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximatelly at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

Additionally, you can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). We would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that we could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

Zigg

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 01:15:47 AM »
The whole computer does not freeze.  I can still use it as normal.  Not slowed down at all.    Doesn't seem that Avast is really frozen either.  When I close Avast I get the message saying scan is not complete and do I really want to stop.  I'll try to get a log.  Thanks

Zigg

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:32:03 AM »
Here is the end of my log but I don't know how to find out what file would be next.

C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
  • is OK

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:05:33 AM by Zigg »

dragland

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »
I just installed Avast yesterday and am having the exact same problem. It first stalled on a file in the Recycle Bin. I emptied the Recycle Bin and began another scan. Now it is stalled on a file that have a very similar name as the one you are stuck on.

Avast 4.8
WinXP SP3.

BTW, I tried Avast several months ago and this is the reason I uninstalled and went back to AVG.

UPDATE: The file it is stalling on is an old entry in the recycle bin. I just excluded the "Recycle" folder and am attemping another scan. We'll see how that goes.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:20:22 PM by dragland »

dragland

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »
And now it is stopping on ZoneAlarm.  >:(