Author Topic: Ashwebsv.exe works fine BUT Windows indicates that it shouldn't be working !!  (Read 12079 times)

trigan

I recently installed the latest Avast anti virus version.
When my computer boots up, ashmaisv.exe and ashwebsv.exe automatically start running as usual.
But after a few seconds, a NOT RESPONDING appears next to ashwebsv.exe but not ashmaisv.exe if I press on CTR - ALT  - DEL. I discovered this quite by chance.

But very oddly, Avast seem to run quite well ie. it informs me that it has downloaded the latest virus update and that Web shield and Standard shield are running. (I have terminated the other providers because they are inappropriate for my use.)

I even tested the Web Shield by visiting the Eicar text file page and lo and behold, it shows that a virus has been detected.

I have Windows 98 but regardless of this, if Windows says that ashwebsv.exe is not responding, it should not work at all. For in the past 10 years, every time I have seen a listed program as not responding, it truly did not respond when I tried to run it or even close it.

But ashwebsv.exe is functioning perfectly.
May someone enlighten me as to what is going on please ?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:10:09 PM by trigan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Which firewall do you use?
Did you have any other antivirus in this machine in the past?
Did you try an installation from the scratch?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
trigan,

I just fired up my Windows Me laptop.  Guess what ... my ashWevSv.exe gets a "not responding" too.  It is working just fine like yours.

I think this is one of those "that's just the way it is".  It is unlikely much effort will be spent on addressing Win9x issues.

I suggest that this is also a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  So, your system, your choice.  My WinMe will not be "fixed" and left alone just as it is.

Just for clarification and completeness ...

This a WinMe system rebuilt from scratch less than a year ago and seldom used and certainly for nothing more adventurous than listening to BBC radio via Firefox. No other antivirus used but avast and no firewall (ZA kept turning itself off - so it was removed) but also only ever used behind a hardware router.       
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:01:33 AM by alanrf »

trigan

Thank you Tech and Alan.
Tech, I have had Norton anti virus softwared installed but I uninstalled it before I installed the Avast which I upgraded after a few days to the latest version.

Alan, once again, I have your Windows98 to thank. I have had an old ghost image file of my C partition scanned with this ashwebsv. exe not responding and it still detected a trojan that I had forgotten all about in the ghost file.
No doubt about it, this "not responding" is not interfering with the scanning.
I am glad that this issue is not as serious as I thought it might me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Thank you Tech and Alan.
You're welcome.

Tech, I have had Norton anti virus softwared installed but I uninstalled it before I installed the Avast which I upgraded after a few days to the latest version.
1) Remove NAV or any other Symantec product (like LiveUpdate) through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

trigan

Thank you Tech.
I have already uninstalled NAV successfully before I installed Avast. I decided to try to repair Avast by going into

Control Panel
Add / Remove Programs
Avast Antivirus
Repair

There was a tab called PROXY SETTINGS. I have firefox connected by proxy connection to Web Shield. Should I makes changes in this tab from direct connection to a proxy connection ?

I also forgot to pause Standard Shield from running while Repair ran. Would this have affected the repair ?

Anyway, I clicked on Repair and a window opened entitled Installaton progress and after some time, it changed to Repair Finished and it gave a report. It seems to have made 23 Registry changes. I can post them if you wish.

I shut down and booted the computer.

I pressed on CTRL / DEL / ALT and the NOT RESPONDING in brackets next to avastwebsv. exe was still showing !!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Should I makes changes in this tab from direct connection to a proxy connection ?
Not really... WebShield works like a proxy in Windows 98 but you seem to be connecting the Internet directly, without a proxy.

I also forgot to pause Standard Shield from running while Repair ran. Would this have affected the repair ?
No, you don't have to do so. Let it on.

Anyway, I clicked on Repair and a window opened entitled Installaton progress and after some time, it changed to Repair Finished and it gave a report. It seems to have made 23 Registry changes. I can post them if you wish.
Please, post the last 200-250 lines of avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
trigan,

please check the proxy settings in Firefox again and make sure that the proxy for http is there and set to localhost port 12080.  If it is there then the Webshield will be working for you.  If it is not then the Webshield will be doing nothing for you.

As to the "not responding" ... as long as Webshield is working I think this is a wild goose chase.

trigan

To Tech:
Thank you for your interest. I am curious myself as to what is going on. Enclosed is an attachment of what you asked for.

To Alan :
Thank you for your information. I have checked Firefox settings again and yes it is going through localhost port 12080. Further below it there is a box saying:
NO PROXY FOR : localhost, 127.0.0.1

You are probably right about it being a wild goose chase because I have proved it to be working fine. However, I would like to see what this can lead up to. I have made a ghost image file of all my partitions now anyway.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
To Tech: Thank you for your interest. I am curious myself as to what is going on. Enclosed is an attachment of what you asked for.

Code: [Select]
29.05.2008 10:39:18.000 1212053958 general Return code: 0x20000001 [Nothing done]Inconclusive... nothing is being done.

trigan

Thank you Tech.

Okay. So nothing was done as far as repairs are concerned.

But what about the registry ?
Were registry changes made ?
If so, can you point out the lines that say this.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
But what about the registry ?
Were registry changes made ?
If so, can you point out the lines that say this.
They're part of the repairing procedure.
Did you try an installation from the scratch?

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

trigan

Can you give me the link where I can download the latest version of Avast Uninstall ?

I don't think I will bother go through this procedure just yet but if I do in the future, I will post the results, rest assured. A great many thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Click on the underlined Avast Uninstall item 3. in Tech's post, it is a link to where you can download it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trigan

Hi Tech / David,

For the past couple of days, I started getting the computer suddenly giving me a blue screen indicating that an exception had occurred after I had been surfing for an hour or so.
Worse and untypically, the computer would not boot for as soon as Windows came up the blue screen would come up.

I dumped ghost image files and Windows would almost instantly crash giving me a blue screen as before. I clicked on Enter a couple of times and this time I saw this message in a white box saying ASHWEBSV. EXE caused an invalid page fault.

This was the first clue as to what was causing the problem. So I decided to uninstall and re-install.

I followed Tech's instructions and installed Avast for the second time. I restarted the computer, I pressed the CTRL ALT DEL and the NOT RESPONDING message was not showing next to ashwebsv.exe any more. I said Great.

However, when I restarted the computer for a second time, the not responding message came up again.

I ran Norton Win doctor to check for problems and it identified the following problem :
The File Extensions section of your Windows Registry contains the file extension ".csk" which refers to an invalid program identifier cskfile.

Has this got anything to do with Avast ?