Author Topic: Ashwebsv.exe works fine BUT Windows indicates that it shouldn't be working !!  (Read 12078 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The file type isn't associated with avast, apparently it relates to claris works.
http://filext.com/file-extension/CSK.

What is the full details of the BSOD ?

Try googling the stop error code and see what that brings, there is also likely to be a main title That_Is_Linked_By_Underscores try googling that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

You mentioned long ago that you had Norton av and had uninstalled
did you also run the Norton uninstaller?
Also if you go to the antivir website they have an uninstaller that may clean up a few leftovers
first run the avast uninstaller
then norton and antivir
then reinstall
however do none of this till Tech responds as what I have mentioned may NOT be what he wants you to do
If you HAVE run the seperate Norton uninstaller please post back
Norton leaves lots of registry crapletts if the uninstaller is not run in addition to add/remove programs  styleuninstall

interesting case
Wyrmrider

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I ran Norton Win doctor
Are you running Norton Antivirus at the same time in this computer or only Norton SystemWorks without the antivirus?
The best things in life are free.

trigan

Thank you for your interest. Much appreciated.
In answer to all your questions.

Norton System Works contains Norton Utilities ( which includes Norton System Doctor and Win Doctor), Norton Antivirus, Norton Uninstall, Norton CrashGuard and Norton Web Services.

I uninstalled Norton Antivirus, Norton Uninstall, Norton CrashGuard through Add Remove Programs which allowed me to choose which programs I wanted to uninstall from Norton System Works and which I still wanted installed on my computer.

I did not download any Norton uninstaller as I did with the Avast. Can you find me the link for this please ?

I have Norton System Doctor start automatically on booting in order to check for errors.

I now only have Norton Utilities and Norton Web Services installed on my computer.

I did not take down details of what the blue screen of death said. But I have had this exception happen before when I had Norton Antivirus running years ago. I think it almost certainly has to do with poor system resources such as processing power and RAM.

- ADDENDUM -

I forgot to say that after I had the blue screen of death come up, I clicked on Enter a couple of times and I saw this message in a white box saying

"ASHWEBSV. EXE caused an invalid page fault"

This is when I realized that it was likely that ashwebsv was the cause of the computer not booting up but turning into a black screen. So I decided to stop ashwebsv.exe from automatically starting when the computer boots. I re-started the computer in SAFE MODE and ran MSCONFIG and unticked the box for ashwebsv.exe.

This time the computer booted successfully and Windows stayed on !! I am surfing the internet as normal with only ashserv.exe running. But the odd thing now is that this program is not listed when I press CTRL ALT DEL.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 01:14:00 PM by trigan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I did not download any Norton uninstaller as I did with the Avast. Can you find me the link for this please ?
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Since trigan is using Windows 98 the Norton removal tool for that operating system is:

Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sorry, missed that  :-[ :-[

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Tech,

I know that if I helped as many folks as you do I would miss very much more.

trigan

Thank you Tech and Alan.

It says on the web page that Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me is for removing all copies of Norton System Works from 2003 - 2006.
I bought my Norton System Works in 1998 !! and it is version 1.0

What do I do now ?
Do I uninstall Norton System Works completely using Add Remove Programs ?
And then Repair Avast ?
It  would mean having to make new ghost image files of my partitions before proceeding.
Is there a good chance that uninstalling NSW will solve the problem ?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:05:28 PM by trigan »

wyrmrider

Of
I have a computer with FORMER Norton AV with NOrton Systems works 2001 remaining (which was upgraded from earlier version)
this is also W98 SE so very similar to your system
I have not run the Norton 98 removal tool as I do not want to remove the rest of system works- I like the Disk Doctor and Speed Disk etc
I guess I could remove and run remover and then reinstall Systemworks without NAV :)
However I have run the Antivir remover that I mentioned previously and it DID remove a lot of old NAV entries and this is after regclean
keep us posted
Might be better to go back to running these tools from the command line and not using NSW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have not run the Norton 98 removal tool as I do not want to remove the rest of system works- I like the Disk Doctor and Speed Disk etc
Isn't there an option to remove just the antivirus part (NAV)?

I guess I could remove and run remover and then reinstall Systemworks without NAV :)
I strongly suggest this.

trigan

Thank you all for your comments. I have reached a decision.

The answer has already been given by Alanrf.
I will quote him:

"trigan,
I just fired up my Windows Me laptop.  Guess what ... my ashWevSv.exe gets a "not responding" too.  It is working just fine like yours.

Just for clarification and completeness ...

This a WinMe system rebuilt from scratch less than a year ago and seldom used and certainly for nothing more adventurous than listening to BBC radio via Firefox. No other antivirus (software) used but Avast and no firewall (ZA kept turning itself off - so it was removed) but also only ever used behind a hardware router."

Alan says that only Avast anti virus software was installed. So this clearly proves that even if I uninstall Norton System Works completely, the same problem should STILL be there.

So I have decided not to go through all the trouble. Thank you, Alan. You have saved me a lot of trouble.

As I have already said, after I installed the latest version of Avast, I noticed that CRL ALT DEL was showing that ASHWEBSV.EXE was not responding and ASHSERV.EXE was not even listed in the list of running programs !!  A month later, I started getting the computer suddenly giving me a blue screen indicating that an exception had occurred and that Avast had caused an invalid page fault . This happened after I had been surfing using Firefox for about an hour or less.

The strange thing is that this used to happen with Norton Anti virus as well when I had it running on startup. This is one reason why I stopped the Norton anti virus from running on startup. I used to run the anti virus program only to perform a monthly scan and then shut it. And I hardly ever experienced a blue screen of death after that.

So unless any of you think it is a really bad idea, I think I will not run Avast anti virus program automatically on startup and will not therefore have the Standard Shield. I will program Task Scheduler to automatically open up ASHAVAST.EXE once every two weeks and do a thorough scan of all my partitions.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The fact that the problem might still be there there is still potential for conflict with another active AV on your system, so getting rid of the Norton AV element is still valid.

I think it is a really bad idea to disable avast on startup as that is the time your system is more vulnerable in that any malware would also be loading. avast is designed to be an (Edit) on-access (Edit) scanner so it isn't advisable to hack it about and just run it every two weeks, not advisable. My 2p worth, your system, your choice.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 05:35:49 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The fact that the problem might still be there there is still potential for conflict with another active AV on your system, so getting rid of the Norton AV element is still valid.
I agree with David.

I think it is a really bad idea to disable avast on startup as that is the time your system is more vulnerable in that any malware would also be loading.
The same...

avast is designed to be an on-demand scanner
I think David thought to say on-access scanner...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes I did, thanks Tech, corrected.